X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep Frame Material?

Does anybody know what type of steel was used to make mid seventy Jeep frames? I'm having some repair welding done on my l976 frame and the welder wanted to know what type of steel the frame is made of so he can use the proper welding rod. He thought it might be 10-18, 10-20, or even chrome molly. I don't have a clue?

I usually use 7018 rods on mine and I have never had a problem. As for the metal content I havn't a clue.

Comment

carbon steel...

Originally posted by highlandercj-7
      I usually use 7018 rods on mine and I have never had a problem. As for the metal content I havn't a clue.
      Guys, the way it rusts it almost has to be a low carbon steel. Here's what the steel guys say:

"All the electrodes described in AWS specification A5.1 are applicable to the mild and low-alloy steels. The E-60XX and E-70XX classes of electrodes provide sufficient strength to produce 100% weld joints in the steels."

Highlander hit it on the head. If you want to get more technical you can do some more reading at: http://www.key-to-steel.com/Articles/Art68.htm

Comment

Working...
      X