X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aftermarket windshield frame

So,when I put my CJ back together,I installed an aftermarket steel windshield frame.Now,I've got issues.
    The little "keyed" are for the wiper pivot on the d/s has worn out.The pivot itself actually moves inside the frame and will over center.Has anyone else had this issue and how did you fix it?
    I'm thinking I may need to replace the frame which sux 'cause there isn't even a rock chip on it yet.

ragg

Taking advantage of the preservationist...

Ragg, been thinking on this one... You'd have to be able to get in there with some sort of support plate with the notch cut in it. Sort of a 'sandwich' thing if you know what I mean. This aftermarket stuff REALLY sucks, man. Damn, the original windshield is no more than a very thin sheet metal. You wouldn't think they could get cheaper than that. They're really screwing us Jeep lovers with some of this stuff.

What did you do with the original frame? Got it laying in the barn maybe? How's the knee?

Comment

raggmann....i am trying to picture what part you are talking about that wore out. Is it the actual notch on the windshield frame, or the little keyway on the wiper mount stem? It sucks that you buy something that you think will be of some quality and then end up getting screwed. I got mine from our hosts and it was a perfect fit as far as glass and wipers. Just curious, where did you get it? maybe with a phone call to the company they may stand behind their product? good luck to you...

Comment

If its the notch in the frame thats worn.....weld it up and file a new notch in it.

Comment

Originally posted by MotorHead
          If its the notch in the frame thats worn.....weld it up and file a new notch in it.
          Agreed. Having used a Chinese windshield frame, I can attest to the poor quality steel they use. They are much thinner and bend way easier than stock frames. FWIW, I had to reinforce the hole with some plate as well. My wiper linkage broke, bound up and bent the area where the hole is. Not a whole lot of fun.

Comment

Willness33-that's exactly the problem.The "keyway" wore,the wiper pivot overcentered,and the whole cheep Chineese frame twisted.
            Blackwater-precicly what I was thinking.A sandwitched reinforcement plate inside the frame.No,I don't have the old frame to use as a pattern or to cut the extra bit out of.As,far as the knee,all's good now.Takin' one of our fellow Jeep brothers moose hunting up here in a couple of months,so we'll see how it holds up then.

This was a "Pro Body Parts" product.Never again would I use this company.The windshield frame has twisted on the wiper pivots and the fenders showed up with hole for mounting,BUT, not one of them lined up.I'm talking not just didn't line up,but were a good 3/4" away from being close.If you can help it....DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM PRO BODY PARTS.

ragg

Comment

Working...
            X