X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Narrow track AMC20 to Scout 800 D44

I found a 71 Scout 800 D44 for a REALLY REALLY good price, stored indoors, rebuilt, with Positrack. I can't find the gear ratio anywhere for this thing. The ONLY stamped number on the whole thing is c-35284 on the pumkin. It appears to be a 3:31 by counting turns. Can I stuff a 3:54 ring and pinion in it without to much trouble and money? Anyone know anything about the old Scout 800's or have any links floating around? I'd really like to know the spline count on this thing due to its age. Still should be better than my fouled up AMC 20 right? Also, the axle sites list the width of narrow track axles at 52". I have 46 and a little " from backplate to backplate on the AMC 20. The scout measures 52" backplate to backplate. Should I bother cutting the 44 down, or should I wheel space the front with 2 inchers?

PS-Money is of issue, and the higher gear ratio doesn't bother me, I can regear later.....after gas prices ease up.
    Last edited by gnarly; 08-15-2006, 03:15 PM.

No one?

Comment

There should be a bill of materials number stamped on the right hand side tube facing directly towards what would be the back of the vehicle. It will most like start with a "60" As in 60XXXX-X, and will be stamped in small 1/8" high letters. If the tube is rusty give it a scrub with a wire brush, because sometimes those small numbers can be hard to read.

If you can give me those numbers, I could answer all your previous questions. If you are sure they can't be read, get the numbers off of the ring gear or differential. That would help too.

Let me know!

Jeff

Comment

Thanks Jeff, I'll try tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
        X