X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going sbc

Ok, I have made up my mind. The 304 is coming out and a sbc is going in. I know I will need a adapter for the bellhousing-tranny connection. I know Fubar is doing this right now, what is the hidden cost of doing this? I am just tired of having to search for ever to get things when any part you can think of for a 350 is plentiful. Any inputs welcome. By the way watch for some cool amc parts coming up for sale soon. (gm hei distributer, eldebrock intake, headers, comp cam, possibly brand new truck avenger also, power steering pump, etc.)

If you want to go the TH350/Dana 20 route, email me. I have a 350 trans with a Dana 20 adapter, and most of the other parts needed. Located in WV.

Comment

woe is me...

Originally posted by mcodrake
      ...I am just tired of having to search for ever to get things when any part you can think of for a 350 is plentiful...
      SHAME on you, MCO!

Hey, since you've made up your mind. Order yourself up a Summit catalog. DANG, they got cool Chevy stuff in that catalog. Good luck with the change out, man.

Comment

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...buick_swap.htm

Lots of good info with this link, just about everything you need to know.

Comment

going for the SBC

MCO,

went to a 350 chevy with a muncie 465. The T90 made one run and bit the dust. If you have the time and the patience it is well worth it. JEEP stands for jut empty every pocket if you are going this route. My son and I started by just trying to get the 63 CJ road ready and ending up completely tearing down and installing new motor, tranny, relocating gas tank, adding electric fuel pump, relocating gas tank, adding glass body, new seats, paint, winch, etc.etc. Here is the link to some pictures before-after.

look at the adding 350 chey problems link or other pictures if you want to see what a 30 can do to an original drive shaft.

Dana
          Last edited by CJ+TJ=DJ; 09-23-2006, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcodrake
            (gm hei distributer, eldebrock intake, headers, comp cam, possibly brand new truck avenger also, power steering pump, etc.)
            To be honest...if I already had these parts I would look for a good AMC 360 to replace the 304.

I've run chevy V8s in my last two CJs but I was replacing 258.

There is many was to save $ when doing the Chevy swap. You can build your own motor mounts, radiators out of some ford vans work nice, run either truck exhaust manifolds or old style ram horns. I had 2 1/4" ram horns on my CJ 5 and they worked great. Also depending on the trans, you can use a Iron Duke bellhousing and either a jeep or chevy 10 1/2" clutch with no adaptors. Only problem is you have to run the smaller 153 tooth flywheel instead of the larger 168 tooth.

But like I said earlier....I would look for a AMC 360. I think you would be much farther a head in the long run. Hell...save your money and slap on some edelbrock performer heads and EFI system to really crank out some ponies! Not to mention the cool factor of having a sweet runing AMC!

Comment

i used the lakewood blowproof bellhouseing. it's one seriously stout mofo of a bell housing. you'll also need clutch relocation bracket, motor mounts, radiator, and the starter won't use the motor craft solenoid anymore. the real trickery was the power steering. i can look it up when you get to it, but there's a specific pressure side hose to use that's easy. you'll have to swap out the o-ring fitting for a flare if your pump has o-rings. it's not really hard, just a lot of running stuff down that are not commonly known. if you get stuck phone me.

i would recommend a crate from jegs/summit/whatever. then buy a junk motor to pull the brackets and pumps, alt, pulley's off of. that gives you a consistant model when looking for parts. but be prepared to drop another grand on parts if you just buy all the conversion stuff over the counter. in the long run, it's about the same cost as putting in a rebuilt AMC.
              Last edited by FUBAR; 08-17-2006, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
                i would recommend a crate from jegs/summit/whatever. then buy a junk motor to pull the brackets and pumps, alt, pulley's off of. that gives you a consistant model when looking for parts. but be prepared to drop another grand on parts if you just buy all the conversion stuff over the counter. in the long run, it's about the same cost as putting in a rebuilt AMC.
                GM Crate engine $3500
                Headers $300
                Radiator $240
                Motor Mounts $130
                Adaptor Bellhousing $440
                Used Flywheel $75
                Clutch $150
                Total $4,835

Add another hundred or so for misc items. If you spent that that kind of money building a amc 360 your gonna have one hell of a motor!

Comment

parts

If your still gonna do the sbc, I have the iron duke bellhousing, small flywheel and heavy duty clutch and spacer, (so you don't have to shorten the nub on the mainshaft) and a starter. I ran a 350 in my cj7 until I blew the tranny out(SR-4 no suprise) The only problem with using the ironduke bellhousing is you have to use the 4 cyl starter, but after I got it shimmed right, it worked great for 2 years!

Comment

you can get a new crate from summit or jegs for $1400 or so. a spare motor for all other parts is going to run you $200 at most. that's a total of $1600. if you rebuild a 360 most of the stuff you have listed is going to get replaced anyways. you will need about $2000 to $2500 to swap in an SBC. i say this because i just did it. i actually found an sbc that was very low miles and i'm getting away with even less money.

a good machine shop is going to charge you more then $2000 to rebuild a 360. plus the parts are going to put you into if not over $3000.

again, i've done both so i'm speaking from experiance.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Like I said, my mind is made up, it is going to be sbc. In fact today things start coming off. I am going to sell all the amc parts so if anybody wants any of it let me know.

Comment

I like Fubars estemate better

Comment

Originally posted by CJ5311
                          I like Fubars estemate better
                          My estimate was based on fubar's input on buying a create motor, lakewood blowproof bellhouseing and other new parts. I put small block chevys in my last couple jeeps so I know whats included in the swap. My last swap I spent way under $1000 to replace the 258.

There are few jeeps that go were I go for the money invested!

Comment

GM Crate engine $3500
                            Headers $300
                            Radiator $240
                            Motor Mounts $130
                            Adaptor Bellhousing $440
                            Used Flywheel $75
                            Clutch $150
                            Total $4,835

Add another hundred or so for misc items. If you spent that that kind of money building a amc 360 your gonna have one hell of a motor!

thats what about what I have in my 401 - it dont run too bad

But like I said earlier....I would look for a AMC 360. I think you would be much farther a head in the long run. Hell...save your money and slap on some edelbrock performer heads and EFI system to really crank out some ponies! Not to mention the cool factor of having a sweet runing AMC!
                            there is nothing wrong with the AMC cast iron heads the only heads to out flow them were the Cleveland 427/428 heads - If I were going Alum heads I would go Indy heads

Comment

i've got under $2K in my SBC. i'm running about 325 horsepower.

when i rebuilt the 304 i had way more than that in it and it's now a boat anchor.

Comment

Working...
                              X