X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Have A Question

I JUST COMPLETED A 2.5" PROCOMP LIFT AND ALSO ADDED 1" SHACKLES. I HAVE ONLY DRIVEN DOWN THE ROAD FOR A TEST DRIVE (MAYBE 3 MILES), I HAVE DEVELOPED A SMALL VIBRATION ON TAKE OFF, ONCE I GET THRU THE GEARS IT GOES AWAY. IS THIS FROM THE LIFT KIT, AND WILL IT GO AWAY AFTER A FEW MILES AND THE SUSPENSION SETTLES IN OR WILL I NEED TO LOWER THE TRANSFER CASE. ITS ON A 83 CJ, AND I DID NOT HAVE THE PROBLEM BEFORE. I'M HOPING THAT IT WILL GO AWAY AFTER I DRIVE IT AWHILE, YOUR COMMENTS WILL BE VERY MUCH APPREICATED. THIS IS MY FIRST LIFT KIT INSTALLATION. THANKS FOR ANY ADVISE

I did a 4.5" lift on mine and it did go away... but only after I broke my U-JOINTS!!!

After that... I lowered the transfer case and shimmed the rear axle a bit. Then I replaced the U-Joints... since then... no problems.

Comment

Searchin'

I just did a 3" on my cj7 and no vibes. I actually removed the transfercase lowering kit from when i had a springover on that frame. I'd check the U-joints in the rear shaft, plus the alignment of the yokes. If that doesn't help, click on the "search" on the top of the page, type in vibration or driveshaft, or both, it will show you all the threads that deal w/vibes from lifts etc.

Comment

My lift is 2.5 and I eventually had to wedge the rear axle to get rid of the vibe I procured soon after the lift install. Now its butter.

Comment

you've got a ujoint problem. that small of a lift shouldn't cause problems, but it may amplify an existing problem.

Comment

1/2 inch difference

since a 4" lift needs a T-case lowering kit I would imagine that a 3.5" isn't much different.

Comment

it is different. especially since 1" shackles only lift about a half inch.

Comment

which cj?

Hey creepycrawler, is your Jeep a 5 or 7?

Comment

Craig (FUBAR) is probably right... that you may have already had a problem but the lift exaggerated the problem enough so that you are now able to feel it.

And he's probably right in suggesting a u-joint. You should be able to raise the rear tires off the ground with some jackstands and then turn the the driveshaft by hand and look for any points where the u-joints are shiny (i.e. some new wear on them... sometimes you can see the edges bumping against the yokes)... if you see that or if you have excessive slop in the u-joints... you will have found your problem.

You may find that replacing the u-joints will fix the problem...but you may also find that a little shimming on the rear will not hurt either. You will probably be able to skip the transfer case drop.

Comment

thanks

thanks for all the advise, i will check the u-joints tomorrow. this was a one owner when i got it, and they proably have never been changed. just a note i did shim the new springs on the rear and it's a CJ7. thanks again for the input.

Comment

just in case

Double check the shims, after a long day I put the shims in backward on my buddy's PU Boy did I feel stupid 15 years (at that time) of turnin' wrenches and modifyin' trucks, and I pull that! Good luck,let us know what it was.

Comment

Go with Fubar's suggestion. I have a 4 inch lift with shims at the rear end and didn't need the transfer case drop. Has done great for the past year.

Comment

I have to agree with FUBAR what little lift you have should not cause problems. I also have a large lift and do not have my T-case lowered. However my axles have been modded to change the pinion angle.

Comment

Sounds like axle wrap is the cause to me. Changing your pinion angle enough to cause a vibe under the high torque load of starting out. After your moving its fine. Take out a degree or 2 of pinion angle and see if that works.
                            Last edited by oros35; 08-23-2006, 11:28 AM.

Comment

answer to I HAVE A QUESTION

hey hill bill e, i feel real stupid when i checked the shims i installed them on the under side of the springs, after i changed them around the vibration is gone, I also went ahead and replaced the u-joints just to cover all my bases. thanks to everyone who offered suggestions, i really appreicate it

Comment

Working...
                              X