Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer case leaking oil, got a question.

There's a plate on the back of my transfer case that has developed a pretty good leak. The plate's about 4"x6" wide and has four bolts holding it on. Got a couple questions before i go tearing this thing apart and end up stranded.

Is there a seal/gasket on the other side of this plate?
    Do i need to drain the engine oil out before pulling the plate off?
    Is the oil in the transfer case the same as the rest of the motor or does it have it's own supply?

Any help is appreciated. It looks straight forward, but thought i'd ask before making a mess of it. I'm still figuring this thing out.

Mike

The oil supply for the transfer case is separated from the engine and it is a different oil. The transfer case uses gear lube.

I assume you have the DANA 300 transfer case since your Sig says 82 CJ7. I do believe that there is not a gasket under that plate but rather soft steel shims. the shims provide the proper bearing preload and if you get the wrong number/thickness it could spell trouble.

I recommend buying a transfer case seal kit as it will include some new shims, then refer to a service manual instruction to do the work. I assume it will say something to the effect of measuring the old shim pack and then match that with the new shims. I have not looked, it may or may not recommend coating the shims with sealer.

Comment

transfer case

Thanks tracraym. That help a lot. It is a dana 300. Guess i should have mentioned that before. Saw a few gasket seal kits on ebay that look promising, but need to check with 4wd as well. The seal at the U joint at the back of the case is also slinging grease, so it will need to be replaced as well.

mike

Comment

Working...
      X