Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very odd electrical symptoms???

Hi All,

First of all, I have an '84 CJ7 with an I6 258. It's pretty much stock with no modifications.

My problems is this: There are times that I could be on the interstate, or regular country roads, and the engine will start to hesitate. The hesitation is the kind that makes you think the fuel guage is wrong and you're running out, or the ignition is going bad! This happened one day right after I filled up and was headed home, I was merging on to the highway, and it started to happen!! I let off the gas and stayed in the slow lane, the hesitation went away. After a few miles, I began to speed up, switched over to the hammer lane(fast lane) and then....clunk, clunk, clunk...the hesitation reared it's ugly head again. After a couple weeks of this I started driving my truck and I left the Jeep parked. Man!!! that was killing me. Anyway...when I do drive the Jeep, I notice that when ever I used my turn signals, or blow my horn at my friend on the way to work, that's when the hesitation acts up! I think at night time when the headlights are on, the motor doesn't run that smooth either, but that may be power of suggestion. Has anyone ever experienced this or know where to begin troubleshooting the odd problem? It's pretty much just the horn, and turn switch that makes this problem. Thank you for your insight...

Greg
    Tobacco Road, NC

run a new ground wire from the engine block to the battery and the body to the battery , also check for any burnt , melted, or green looking wires at the steering coloum ign, switch area

Comment

If you think it is electrical, start with the grounds first.

Comment

Thanks for the advice JeepDaddy, and RRAuto!!! I'll start doing that tomorrow morning...I'm not very electrical savvy, so I do appreciate the steps you walked me through in your reply Big Daddy.

I'll let you know if that fixed the problem. Ya'll have a good night!

Comment

Fuel?

Per your description, it sounds like the problem occurs when you are on the accelerator or higher RPM. This, to me, indicates a fuel volume issue. Either a restricted fuel filter or float level problem. Have you recently made any carb adjustments?

Comment

It happens when I slow down as well. The only time I ever experience this problem is when I use my turn signals or horn. That I am sure of. It doesn't matter if I'm accelerating, slowing down, or testing the theory sitting still in my driveway. It definately only sputters when the turn signals or horn is used. Other than that the Jeep runs perfect. No carb adjustments have been made.

Appreciate your response!

Comment

Check the voltag on the coil when it starts to miss.

Comment

So both the horn and turn signals work as designed. The correct lights blink, none are dim, no goofy business what so ever there. That will eliminate a ground problem through each of those circuits. The hazzard lights, fan motor, cigarette lighter, wipers whatever other options you have do nothing out of the ordinary nor do they affect the engine according to what you said. Also I assume that the volt meter is showing full voltage around 14 volts with nothing on and reflects the appropriate draw when you turn on other things.

I would 1) take a voltmeter and test it on the + and - leads of the battery with the engine at normal operating temperature (at least off of fast idle completely). The reading should be 13.65 volts + but no more than 14.5 volts. 2) Now take a reading the same way with the turns signals on. 3) Next the horn. There should not be a significant drop in voltage, and it should never read under 12.0 volts.

I won't keep typing and wasting your time. Maybe you already fixed it. If you need specific help I can fix it easily enough. I do need to know the readings etc plus the fact that the condition never occurs unless the turn signals or horn are activated (and possibly the headlights). When any of these things are turned on, they operate correctly. I can go 2 ways with this problem, so I would also like to know that if the vehicle is on an incline, especially left front up and right rear down with no electrical accessories on the condition does not exist.

Comment

Originally posted by CJAY
                  ..... I can go 2 ways with this problem, so I would also like to know that if the vehicle is on an incline, especially left front up and right rear down with no electrical accessories on the condition does not exist.
                  This is interesting...Your going to have me guessing all afternoon what a jeep in this position can do.. Fuel Level? Evaporator container? Tub leaning on the frame funny?

Other than that, still waiting for the voltage check on the coil to see if it's dropping but maybe it's on the other end and the ground is poor raising the potential to were it's not fully grounding the coil...Unfortunatly I would have no idea how to check that without a scope.

Or it could be something stupid like I found one day and the alternator case was not properly grounded and would cause a miss off and on.....

Comment

Originally posted by John Strenk
                    Other than that, still waiting for the voltage check on the coil to see if it's dropping but maybe it's on the other end and the ground is poor raising the potential to were it's not fully grounding the coil...Unfortunatly I would have no idea how to check that without a scope.

I Changed The Plugs, Wires, Cap, & Rotor In My 4.2L And It Started Missin' Something Horrible, Drove Fine @ Idle And Cruising, But When You Called On It, It Jumped And Hollered...Messed With The Timing As Much As We Could But It Still Didn't Help...Come To Find Out, My Ignition Coil Wasn't Up To Par, So I Got A New Coil, And It Runs Like A Scalded Dog!
                    Last edited by Cooter; 09-12-2006, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I actually had my coil go bad. I replaced with an Accel high performance coil...only $5 more and it runs great. I doubt it really improved my performance, but I figured a bit hotter spark couldn't hurt.

Comment

My '85 CJ-7 did nearly the same thing, however I can't recall the specifics of the signals, horn, lights, et cetera. Naturally I spent many hours chasing possible solutions until ultimately I drove it while a friend contorted himself under the driver side dash (yes it was a sight to behold). He began wiggling one wire at a time until the symptoms occured and we located the faulty ignition wire. Now being 32 instead of 18, I would advance the throttle in neutral and perform the procedure in a safer manner.

I realize there are some very smart guys offering suggestions, however I often find that Occam's Razor is applicable. The 14th century logician said essentially "when you have competing theories which make exactly the same predictions, the one that is simpler is the better". Therefore, rule out the easy fixes first.

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by John Strenk
                          This is interesting...Your going to have me guessing all afternoon what a jeep in this position can do.. Fuel Level? Evaporator container? Tub leaning on the frame funny?
                          You got me to wondering, what would the effects of a bad "Evaporator container" be ?

Comment

Originally posted by RockThrasher
                            You got me to wondering, what would the effects of a bad "Evaporator container" be ?
                            Well it could be two things.

1.) A stuck purge valve would create a vacuum leak that I bet no one would look for down there on the engine.

2.) If the roll over valve and liquid check valve fail, the evaporator canistor will fill up with Liquid fuel that would mess up the mixture when the engine starts to suck the fuel in. Of course this wouldn't happen right away but it would wait till the engine was at the right temp to open the CTO and allow the purge signal to pass.

3.) OK I can't count but I have seen numerous broken vacuum connections on these containers that would also create a vacuum leak.

Along these same lines I've seen pefectly good looking vacuum storage cylinders that had the bottoms completly rotted away and people wonder why their Jeep runs bad and throw out all the emmision stuff without figuring out the problem.
                            Last edited by John Strenk; 09-13-2006, 06:00 AM.

Comment

On my 83 cj8 the 4.2 dist shaft bushings were worn and the pickup coil was loose and shorting out made it miss and run like crap in fact my 8 stalled a couple of times in the road on a hunting trip,went home early and pulled the dist located a rebuilder and had 2 of them rebuilt= no more problems.It had been at Turbo City for a Howell TBI install prior to our trip but they failed to check the dist for wear or add new parts torqued me off.

Comment

Working...
                              X