X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch question/broken?

Hello all...a quick question about the clutch on my 79 CJ7. I was letting my friend drive and he was in 4 low granny gear. Anyway going down a steep hill he took his foot off the brake but still had the clutch pedal depressed. To make a long story short after he got down the hill the clutch no longer worked. Did he break it, burn it out, did it just come lose? Any help in diagnosing/fixing it would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

the linkage fell apart....should be hanging by the tranny....

Comment

Originally posted by Jodean
      the linkage fell apart....should be hanging by the tranny....
      Is it pretty easy to fix...will it require new parts?

Comment

very easy to fix. i've helped a friend do his on the trail a time or ten. loosen a bracket, reassemble the linkage, re-attach the bracket. piece o' cake.

Comment

easy a pie. but u should check you trany and motor mounts to make shure there still good. the linkage coming off is a good sign of bad mounts. also make shure the all the little bushings and such are still there. i had that problem repatadly beacuse of a bushing i didnt know existsed

Comment

Broken Linkage

I broke mine a few times before I went with a RODLINKS heim joint linkage that finally stays together. If the clutch was pressed down then it should have just been in neutral. The stock linkages are really weak and 4wd carries the heim joint linkage, makes a great update to the clutch and no more worries that I have had at all! Good Luck!

Comment

[QUOTE=T's79CJ5]4wd carries the heim joint linkage, QUOTE]

Any Idea on a Part # for this? I'm tired of welding and redrilling the bell crank. I've never seen it in the catalog.

Comment

try this site

I know 4wd has it in their magazine but if you can not find it a quick search on the internet and I found that this site has it. This is a great linkage set up I love it!
                http://www.discountjeepparts.com/pro...ducts_id/15847

Good Luck
                T

Comment

[QUOTE=mxg342]
                  Originally posted by T's79CJ5
                  4wd carries the heim joint linkage, QUOTE]

Any Idea on a Part # for this? I'm tired of welding and redrilling the bell crank. I've never seen it in the catalog.
                  Its on page 181 of the catalog. Part#7560 76-86 CJ w/o body lift $69.99

Comment

another option

Thats a great Idea, if you go that route make sure to check the "ears" on the bellcrank, mine were egged out so bad I had to weld them shut and redrill the holes. Also welded the rod ends where they were worn and then ground them back to the correct diameter. If you have access to a welder its pretty simple to do, and will save you $70 for now!

Comment

Originally posted by Hill, Bill E
                      Thats a great Idea, if you go that route make sure to check the "ears" on the bellcrank, mine were egged out so bad I had to weld them shut and redrill the holes. Also welded the rod ends where they were worn and then ground them back to the correct diameter. If you have access to a welder its pretty simple to do, and will save you $70 for now!
                      I welded and reground my rods and bellcrank, then I drilled them oversize and installed door hinge bushings in the bellcrank and the clutch pedal. The powdered bronze bushings will wear faster than the steel rod or bellcrank so when they start getting sloppy, just replace the hinge bushings. Keep a spare set in the jockey box, and your golden. I also drilled the linkage for hair pins, so they can't come out by themselves, and I installed a heavy duty spring between the clutch fork and the lower linkage so it won't pop out of the clutch fork pocket.

Comment

Thanks tracraym, thats good info, next time I pull the linkage/bellcrank I'll do the bushing thing. Already did the clip thing, nothin' like kneeling in red clay and water trying to hook up the rod under the dash after the stock pin falls out!

Comment

Working...
                        X