X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2 ton axles on cj

alrite, my friend owns an 80's chevy half ton, and just upgraded to 3/4 axles and whatnot, but i was wondering if i could use his old 1/2 axles in my 79" cj-5. if i could, how easy is it, and is it even worth it? im think that the rear may be a 12bolt, but im not sure of the front.

can you weld?

Comment

Fubar is right, you really need to shorten them since they are a lot wider than your current axles. Plus, I have heard it to be wise to outboard your spring mounts for better stability. It is possible, and probably worth it. That is if you have the fabrication skills it takes. I, do not. I would be

Good luck

High5

Comment

a couple things that you're going to run into problems with on the front axle.

1st, what side drop is a CJ front? I know the YJ's & TJ's are driver side drop, but I can't remember about the CJ. Chevy front axle is a passenger side drop.
        2nd, you better figure out what you're going to do with steering before you start.
        3rd, do you want to go full width?

Comment

That Chevy front axle will be a 10 bolt and drops to pass side like ALL CJ's do.
          The Chevy axles will be approx 12" wider than a narrow track Jeep.
          If you narrow then you can keep stock Jeep spring mounts but I would use YJ from springs since they will fit the spring pads better than the CJ narrow springs. On the rear I would just weld on new pads to match CJ frame width.
          If you run them full width I would out board the front springs and reweld new pads on rear to match CJ housing.
          Just opinions!

Comment

Just my .02 but,,,I am in the process of putting Dana 44s from a scout in my CJ I started by building outboard perches my self and finally went with the fullwidth kit from Poison Spider customs. Chech them or the Blue Torch kit too..

Comment

Working...
            X