Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilt 258

Hey guys,

I have a line on a rebuilt 258 around here that seems to be a good deal, but I wanted some input here. New main bearings, the crank has been ground, new cam bearings, cam, lifters, timing chain, the head has been boiled, 3 way valve job, and it has all been painted. It's sitting in a garage and hasn't been installed or ran since rebuild.
    It was not bored, did not need it.

Is 400 bucks a good price?????

High5

I would think the tanking and valve job would be worth $400! If you are sure it was put together correctly, I would grab it and run!!

Comment

Ditto on Bret...

Just for curiosity I checked the Northern Auto link Tracaym posted in another thread, High5. $417.39 for a rebuild kit for '71 thru '80 and $371.90 for a '81 thru '90.

This is the link if you guys are interested. Decent link for rebuild kits for a lot of motors.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...?ProductId=753

Comment

Stop right there, DO NOT buy any engine that cant be test fired.

It does not need to be in a Jeep to fire it up, plumb it and check it out. My 360 had "brand new NOS" heads and one of the was FUBared, I would have found that right away if i had fired it up and then checked the oil.

Play if safe

Comment

hmmmm...

Originally posted by Scarface
          Stop right there, DO NOT buy any engine that cant be test fired.

It does not need to be in a Jeep to fire it up, plumb it and check it out. My 360 had "brand new NOS" heads and one of the was FUBared, I would have found that right away if i had fired it up and then checked the oil.

Play if safe
          Scarface has cast a cynical eye...

Whatcha gonna do, High5? You know the guy with the motor?

Comment

LOL if you want to fire it up it is an easy process. Hell we used to run BBC Marine engines on a cement pad with a garden hose and Chemtool

Comment

You can fire up a chevy motor on an engine stand, but the AMC breed is a little harder since you need a bellhousing to bolt the starter too... Just food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by tracraym
                You can fire up a chevy motor on an engine stand, but the AMC breed is a little harder since you need a bellhousing to bolt the starter too... Just food for thought.

i always used a lawnmower cord.

Comment

I have pull cranked my 175 hp Evinrude before its was a V6

Do it on the floor...

Comment

Originally posted by Scarface
                    I have pull cranked my 175 hp Evinrude before its was a V6
                    not all of us have arms like Popeye

Besides I've seen people try to use a hand crank before, doesn't take much to end up in a cast. I'm not saying it can't be done, just be carefull and remember to could all your fingers after you finish, you may come up short.

Comment

Nope, not going to buy the engine. It's on Ebay and looked like a good idea. Upon further discussion, here and elsewhere, the boss didn't think it was a good idea. I think it would be nice, even just for the parts. It is north of Minneapolis, and I am here for the holiday weekend. Thought I could kill two birds with one stone, but no go. I'll just keep wrenching on mine and when she blows, she'll get a souped up engine from Golen.

Thanks for the input,

High5

Comment

engine with 7yr 70,000 mile warranty

http://www.rebuilt-jeep-engines.com/...ngine-776.html Just my thoughts from dealing with a reputable repair shop that bought rebuilt engines with a warranty. I'd rather pay more and have the guaranteed engine than one hopefully rebuilt correctly with no guarantee.

Comment

did you read the whole warranty??

Its actually only a 2 year warranty.....after that u most likely wont get crap.....

after shipping of engine and core back and forth you might as well put a corvette motor in.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jodean
                            did you read the whole warranty??

Its actually only a 2 year warranty.....after that u most likely wont get crap.....

after shipping of engine and core back and forth you might as well put a corvette motor in.....
                            Most motors go south within the first 90 days if they're going to,I'm on the left side not that far from the builder and if done it would be by a garage not me.check this http://www.rebuilt-auto-engines.com

Comment

Working...
                            X