X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat Problem?

So I changed out my water pump and thermostat the other night on my 80 cj7 it has a 304 v8. I bought the a high flow pump and a $10 thermostat, it was the good one from the auto store. I did not have any problems before with heating always stayed around 200-210. Now my temp will sit around 200 then go to 230 then very quickly back down to 193, like with in 10 sec. I can only guess that it's the thermostat. any ideas? that quick of a temperature change can't be good for it. Extra stuff: i have a digital temp gauge wired with fresh wiring and it controls and ele. fan that come on at 205. the reason i changed everything out was the pump was the oem, still had some blue paint on it on the inside and on some bolts everything else was rust, and i wanted some reliability

instrumentation...

Blw,

Your 'digital' stuff is showing you 'exactly' what's going on in there. It sounds like you installed a 190 tstat that controls a bit differently. (Couple a different tstat with a new 'pump curve' from your high flow pump and you got a new ball game there.) Your 'symptoms' sound normal to me. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure. Drive it like that for awhile. I don't think you're going to see any adverse effects assuming your radiator is in good shape.

Comment

thanks for the response blackwater, that makes me feel better.

Comment

Then take her for a RIDE, Blw. I would add this: I have a high flow pump and sometimes in the summer Myrtle will 'walk the line' with a 190. I started running a 190 during the winter and a 160 during the summer. (Good advice from a fellow Jeeper.) BUT...if your Jeep maintains below 210, maybe 220 max, (I'm pretty sure 219 is what the FSM says for 'max operating temp') just drive and enjoy. Heck, that's what the radiator cap is for. It'll tell you when things aren't right.

Comment

i justed ordered a 180* t-stat thats for the higher flow rate from summit. I'll let ya know how it works. it stayed a steady temp before I'm thinking the t-stat isn't working fast enough.

Comment

One thing I learned about cooling a jeep is to use oem parts:thermostat and radiator cap once I did this my jeep ran normal temps no spikes in temp.I tried all kinds of after mkt thermostats and caps w/o success.

Comment

oem cooling system parts

One thing I learned about cooling a jeep is to use oem parts:thermostat and radiator cap once I did this my jeep ran normal temps no spikes in temp.I tried all kinds of after mkt thermostats and caps w/o success.

Comment

I started seeing huge temp fluctuations after my high-flow pump install too. I did a separate trans cooler at the same time, figured that it was blocking too much airflow to the rad, so I swapped back to the stock cooler. I kind of "ignored" the problem for a while, and it seems to have lost intensity. The temp spikes are almost non-existent now. It still bothers me though. Let me know if you get any resolution to your problem.

Comment

Well I Put In That T-stat And She's Running Perfect. My Normal Temps Are 190 To 200 *f Now With No Spikes The Highest It Ever Gets Is Around 210, Keep In Mind That I Don't Have A Mechanical Fan Only The Ele. One And I Have It Programed To Come On At 205 So It Doesn't Run When I'm In The Highway. I Also Have The Trans Cooler In front Of The Radiator And Had A Similar Problem. So I Moved The Trans Cooler As Far Forward As I Could So I End Up With A 1.5 -2.5 Inch Gap Between The Rad And Trans Cooler( Before They Touched Each Other). I Did This At The Same Time I Changed The Pump So I Can Only Guess That It Helped A Little.

Comment

Working...
                  X