X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb. and intake for 258

I just picked up a 4.0 head for my 258 6cyl and was told to get a holley 500 double to put on it and was wandering when i go to the salvage yard what vehicle to get the intake from that will work for this ? any help would greatly be appreciated. During the winter i plan on putting this on and also a dana 44rear and matching gears for the front and also a spare tire carrier that swings any drawings on the tire carrier that mounts to the bumper would help

Thanks Gary

Get the injection set up from a donor with a 4.0. Do you have a carb now? If so, which one and will it not work on the 4.0 manifold?

Comment

4.0l induction system

Here's a source http://www.customefis.com that may answer some of your questions about using a 4.0L head on your 4.2l and what induction system to use.

Comment

Cutsomefis is a good sourece for EFI info, but I wouldn't purchase anything from him. I have been waiting for 3 years for him to finish my TBI kit. He has told me on multiple occasions that he is trying to finish up all of his outstanding orders and will probably close up shop once that is over. You would probably do best to find a 4.0 intake with the harness and computer to just bolt on and have factory fuel injection for you Jeep. It would probably come out cheaper than any EFI kit you can purchase.

Comment

Intake? We don't need no stinkin' intake

Your 258 manifold and carb will work until you can gather all the parts to do a decent MPI swap.

Get a 4.0L intake gasket and tape it to your 258 intake with the manifold ports lined up. Notice that the alignment dowel holes are the only thing in the wrong spot. With a lead pencil or similar marking instrument trace where the new alignment holes need to be. remove the gasket, center punch and drill the holes you marked the same size or slightly smaller than the alignment dowels. use a file or dremmel tool to do the final fitting. Once the intake will bolt to the head, find an exhaust manifold off a Cherokee or Grand with the 4.0 HO (258 exhaust will NOT fit). If possible get the exhaust flange with the manifold you purchase; it makes plumbing the exhaust a lot easier.

You can run the carter for a while or upgrade to an MC2100 from an old ford 302, search the forum for instructions on that one.

Comment

texas, I do not have the carb or intake yet just trying to get an idea what to get and off of what vehicle to get it from. I would like an electric choke if possible

Comment

Originally posted by Gary B
              texas, I do not have the carb or intake yet just trying to get an idea what to get and off of what vehicle to get it from. I would like an electric choke if possible
              Check these 2 sources: http://www.ecudirect.com and http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com
              Last edited by scr83jp; 09-05-2006, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary B
                I just picked up a 4.0 head for my 258 6cyl and was told to get a holley 500 double to put on it and was wandering when i go to the salvage yard what vehicle to get the intake from that will work for this ? any help would greatly be appreciated. During the winter i plan on putting this on and also a dana 44rear and matching gears for the front and also a spare tire carrier that swings any drawings on the tire carrier that mounts to the bumper would help

Thanks Gary
                Go to http://www.bustedjeep.com lots of dyi information.

Comment

Working...
                X