X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much paint do I need?

I am about to paint my 4WD fiberglass body, fenders, windshield frame, hood, and grill. I am going to paint it flat black. I was just wondering if anyone knew how much paint I would need to buy to complete it. I am going to use car paint in an air gun, not just spray paint. Thanks in advance for any advise.

paint

CJ5311, I just finished painting my CJ7, I used about 2 1/2 quarts of auto grade paint, and less than 2 qts of primer. I bought a gallon of the paint because it was the same as buying 2 qts, go figure. I used a midnight blue metallic and put on about 5 coats. Going with flat black you should be good with 2qts. Make sure you check the price difference between a gallon and by the quart, if 1 gl = 2 qts, might as well get the extra, you know, for touch-ups and trail damage and rollovers and.... Good luck

Comment

Btw

Also, I painted my full steel doors, but the inside of the tub is a different color. I needed lots of coats to cover well with the metallic paint, flat black shouldn't be as bad.

Comment

i just painted my cj7 on the outside only, and it took just under a gallon of paint, with 3 coats.
        but the paint was a single stage enamal, and i used a suction gun to spray it, so a lot of paint gets oversprayed. i dont know what other paints require for reducing, but it may be different and give you a different amount.
        i also painted the dash, but that doesnt take much at all.

Comment

price??

thanks for the advice, it really helps. I was also just wondering if anyone could give a price estimate on how much about two quarts of primer and two quarts of flat black paint would cost. thanks again.

Comment

i spent around 150 dollars at the paint store for yellow, and primer and reducer and hardener.

Comment

Yea you will spend around 150 to 200 on the supplies. If i were you i would get 2qts of urethane enamel. It is alittle heaver voc paint and covers better so not as many coats. It also is stronger than acrylic enamel and basecoat clear. Alot of big trucks and equipment use urethane because of that. Anyway hope the info helped.

Comment

Getting a flat finish in most automotive type paints, requires a flattener being added. You may have to go with an acrylic or old school synthetic enamel to do this right. I have found flatteners and gloss hardeners will equal shinny paint in most cases. The flattener is like a talcum powder stuff and has to be well mixed. I once had to paint school bus hood tops with flat paint to cut the glare from sun, and tryed everything possible and the flattener worked well and remained durable which was importanat too! Another choice is to get the paint supply to mix a bumper paint code which is in many cases semi-gloss or flat. I have also seen this paint by the qt. at larger body supplies.
                I also suggest a good grade primer, and dark grey color preferred since it will
                cover better with black topcoat.

Comment

Have you thought about using one of those sprayin/roll on bed liner type paints? I've seen some in my local O'Reillys for around $90. I think its Herculiner. When I get ready to paint my CJ, that's what I'm gonna use.

Comment

Originally posted by mcmurry
                    Have you thought about using one of those sprayin/roll on bed liner type paints? ... When I get ready to paint my CJ, that's what I'm gonna use.
                    Rhino lining the outside of the tub used to be really popular 'round here, but all it took was a couple of guys having to change flat tires on a hill to kill that idea. They were all upset because whenever they brushed against their jeeps, they lost skin. (looked like shiat too IMHO)

Comment

herculiner

There is a way to put herculiner on so it's flat, no bumps. I don't recall how, but I remember seeing it in the instuctions when I did my tub. I wanted the rough texture, so I didn't pay much attention to it, but its in the instructions. 1 gallon covers approx 60 sq ft, and runs $75-$90 a gallon.

Comment

thanx, great info

I hurculined the interior and I put some Dupli-color bed liner on the bottom. I thought about putting a bedliner on the outside, but I am going to go the "proper" way.

Comment

Working...
                        X