X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion headers

I'm having problems with headman headers and want to use a different brand. Any suggestions? The only brand I can find that works with SBC/CJ inframe are headman.

hedman

Originally posted by FUBAR
    I'm having problems with headman headers and want to use a different brand. Any suggestions? The only brand I can find that works with SBC/CJ inframe are headman.
    i just sent a pair of inframe hedders back to hedman for my 401, said they would fit. but did'nt,they were right inline with my tranny on the drivers side. could'nt find any that fit so i'm gonna go with fenderwell from hedman. i know i did'nt answer your question, just thaught i'd share mt problem with inframe hedders.

Comment

Just curious Fubar, are those shorties? I got a set that are shorties but I dont know what brand they are. I think they will work fine I just have to extend the pipes up further from where they connected to the old headers.

Comment

Fubar, I think CJ=TJ=DJ used Edelbrock shorties on his 350 conversion. If he doesn't see this thread you might pm him.

Comment

well i just got back from summit racing (nice to live close to it) and i picked up some shorties/block huggers. they brought out the advanced adaptors brand and the summit brand and i'm telling you they're the exact same thing...except the advanced are a heck of a lot more money. i'm going to install them tonight and if they look like they'll work i'll paint them tomorrow.

Comment

1 tuff cj, I'd try agin on in the frame headers there's no reason why they shouldn't fit. What trans and t case you running? I wouldn't put fender well headers on anything. They hit everything on the trail among other problems. I run a set of headman's on my heep with a 360 - T-18a - d20 set up and all is well, though for even more ground clearence I plan on going back to manifolds and raising the exhaust as high in the frame as I can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by highlandercj-7
              1 tuff cj, I'd try agin on in the frame headers there's no reason why they shouldn't fit. What trans and t case you running? I wouldn't put fender well headers on anything. They hit everything on the trail among other problems. I run a set of headman's on my heep with a 360 - T-18a - d20 set up and all is well, though for even more ground clearence I plan on going back to manifolds and raising the exhaust as high in the frame as I can get it.
              I could be wrong, but I don't believe 1 tuff plains on any hard core trails. In my opinion I think side exhaust look great on a "show" jeep.

I run headman in-frame headers on a sbc with no apparent problems. Fubar, what problems were you having???

Comment

Originally posted by MotorHead
                I could be wrong, but I don't believe 1 tuff plains on any hard core trails. In my opinion I think side exhaust look great on a "show" jeep.

I run headman in-frame headers on a sbc with no apparent problems. Fubar, what problems were you having???
                highlander i have a 401 with a 727t/f with a dana 20. even if they did fit there would of only been about 3/4" of clerence between the frame and tranny pan. not to mention my gas and brake lines on the inside frame rail, and the t/c on the other side. motorhead your half right, i won't be wheeling moab or places like moon rock. as i live in hawaii, we do have hills and mountains but nothing like you guys have over there. wish i lived over there now that i'm builing this jeep.your right it's gonna look like a show jeep, but don't be fooled it will wheel, i'm building it not to break and look good at the same time.

Comment

on the pass side the collector was partially over the frame. i couldn't get the reducer on. i put the short block huggers on and they're great. i think they have better clearance than the headmans. if the block huggers had a rear facing dump it would be even better but they're just what i needed and they're a lot less expensive than the headmans to. i've heard that headman has problems with stuff not lining up properly from time to time. i was just surprised that when i talked to headman they suggested i try another brand of header instead of trying to resolve my problem with another passenger side header.

Comment

fitment problems may be the header you got.......

i know i ordered fenderwell headers from summit and one pointed slightly above level and the other side pointed down.......had to bend the hell out of my mufflers to get them to look descent......

Comment

I have Hooker block hugger shorties on my CJ with 350 and TH350. plenty of room except fot the #1 spark plug ...

Comment

on the pass side the collector was partially over the frame. i couldn't get the reducer on. i put the short block huggers on and they're great. i think they have better clearance than the headmans. if the block huggers had a rear facing dump it would be even better but they're just what i needed and they're a lot less expensive than the headmans to. i've heard that headman has problems with stuff not lining up properly from time to time. i was just surprised that when i talked to headman they suggested i try another brand of header instead of trying to resolve my problem with another passenger side header.
                        You might have the new style header. My collector flange is adjustable on the header....or maybe your engine is too far offset to passenger side.

Comment

You might have the new style header. My collector flange is adjustable on the header....or maybe your engine is too far offset to passenger side.
                          i'm positive the motor is not offset to the side too much.

another thing about the headmans to, the spark plugs were in very difficult to get in and the starter wires needed insulation so they didn't get scorched. the summit shorties were just all around easier to install, work with and deal with. i'm just surprised because the headmans are supposed to be for my exact application and the shorties are generic.

Comment

another thing about the headmans to, the spark plugs were in very difficult to get in and the starter wires needed insulation so they didn't get scorched. the summit shorties were just all around easier to install, work with and deal with. i'm just surprised because the headmans are supposed to be for my exact application and the shorties are generic.
                            You aren't kidding there....the headmans suck when it comes to spark plugs and spark plug wires. After burning my #5 wire within the first five minutes, I had to purchased a couple wire insulators for $20.

What engine mounts are you using and how did they fit around them?? Sounds like the block huggers are the way to go.

Comment

i used MORE bomb proof mounts and they haven't been an issue with either set of headers. the shorties dump way behind the mounts.

Comment

Working...
                              X