X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 304 Conversion?

I've Got A 1985 CJ-7, 4.2L/258 Straight 6 , 4 Speed Manual...Just Wondering If The Bellhousing On My Transmission Will Bolt To An AMC 304 V8?? If So, Great...If Not, What Has To Be Done To Make It Work?...

Thanks,
    Cooter

I would guess yes but I am sure someone will be more definate. I took a 258 out and put a 304 in and used the same trans/bellhousing. But mine was a T150 three speed. By the way, think it thru, the 304 is now out and I am going with a 350. I hated the 304. Just my opinion.

Comment

Yes. Same bellhousing.

Comment

Motorhead is right, the 258 and the 304 use the same bell housing, but on a cautionary note, what 4spd do you have? If it is the T4 or the SR4, then be very careful as those trannies are light duty transmissions and some folks have trouble running them behind a 258, let alone a V8.

Comment

Not Real Sure, I Know I Can Give It Hell And It Takes The Abuse So I'm Gonna Go W/ T4...I'm Assuming I'll Need A Bigger Flywheel And Clutch Kit??

Comment

amc 304 is externally balanced. use the original flywheel that came with the motor. you'll also need to deal with a passenger side mount that won't work and the fuel line needs to be on the other side of the motor now. then there's the radiator and shroud issue to.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter
              Not Real Sure, I Know I Can Give It Hell And It Takes The Abuse So I'm Gonna Go W/ T4...I'm Assuming I'll Need A Bigger Flywheel And Clutch Kit??
              Hey Cooter. "You might be crazy..but you ain't dumb!" Sorry for that! Doe's your trans lever have a curve to it? Or is it straight? Curved is T4, Straight is T176...if stock.

Comment

Don't Worry I Say It All The Time...Both Of My Shifter Levers Are Straight Up...I Bought The Jeep Off The 2nd Owner, Claiming It's All Original, Which I Don't Doubt Because The Coil I Replaced Was Stamped 1985 Along With Some Other Stuff...As For The Flywheel I'm Guessing It's Not A Stock 304, Because The Engine Has Been Bored .030 And Stroked .020, I'm Thinkin' It's Like A 309 Or 310? It's Got Brody Or Brodix Heads (Can't Remember) And They've Been Shaved, Ported, Angled, Pretty Much The Works...Guy Had It Built, Then Sold His Tub/Chassis, Engine Is Still On Stand, He Wants $1,000 For It So I'm Thinkin' Yeah Why Not? So I'm I Reading Correct That I'll Need A Different Passenger Side Motor Mount? As For The Lines And Radiator That's Not A Problem.
                Last edited by Cooter; 09-13-2006, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Just make sure your radiator is at least a 3 core for that motor.

Comment

Ok, I'm off topic and being anal, but somtimes I just can't help it.

Just because your 304 is bored .030 over and now has an actual displacement of 309 or 310 ci, that dose not mean it is a 310 motor. It is just a 304 bored .030 over. To my knowledge, AMC never made a 310.

Even though your cat had kittens in the oven, that doesn't make 'em biscuits.

Comment

I would call it a 410 if thats what it is. Unless of course your trying to buy parts or something like that. If you have a 383 or 406 chevy your not gonna call it a 350.

Comment

Originally posted by tracraym
                        Ok, I'm off topic and being anal, but somtimes I just can't help it. Just because your 304 is bored .030 over and now has an actual displacement of 309 or 310 ci, that dose not mean it is a 310 motor. It is just a 304 bored .030 over.To my knowledge, AMC never made a 310.
                        I Never Stated It Was An AMC 310 Now Did I? I Simply Stated As Did You, It Now Has A Displacment Of 310...Anal, Yeah I Agree...Hopefully Your Not Gonna Tell Me GM Never Made A 383, Although Plymouth Did...So Does That Mean A 383 Is A Plymouth Motor In A Street Car/Truck...No Simply Means A 350 Block, Bored .030 W/ A 400 SB Crank...Sorry For Rambling But Anally Retentive People Piss Me Off
                        Last edited by Cooter; 09-14-2006, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MotorHead
                          If you have a 383 or 406 chevy your not gonna call it a 350.
                          No, I wouldn't. I am not so anal that I don't realize that they are exceptions to every rule. (just a little anal, thats all. And I admit it, don't I get points for that?)

The 383 for example is a special case. To my knowledge it was never mass produced by GM, but it is such a poluar mod and a lot easier to say than the less used but possibly more correct "stroked 350" or "350 block bored .030 over with a 400 crank and 5.7 rods." that it has become accepted as a true engine configuration.

I suppose my trouble comes from the hundreds if not thousands of IDIOTS that I had to serve while I was slinning parts that would come in and ask for parts for a "309" chevy engine when they really had a rebuilt 305. Or worse yet, when they came in for parts and asked for parts for a 307 when they had a 305. It is hard for the poor parts guy to tell if you need parts for your 305, 307 or 302 chevy if you change the name every time you rebuild it.

Some days it was all I could do not to beat them to death with a starter.

I'm not trying to start a fight or anything like that, all I was saying is that for your own health and safety, don't get in the habit of calling it something that it is not. Someday you may meet a stressed out, underpaid anal retentive parts guy that has less restaint than I did and won't hesitate to bash your brains out with the 304 AMC starter that you really needed when you asked for the 310 starter.

Comment

Originally posted by MotorHead
                            I would call it a 410 if thats what it is. Unless of course your trying to buy parts or something like that. If you have a 383 or 406 chevy your not gonna call it a 350.
                            Like I said....if its a 310 than call it a 310! If its a 355 than call it a 355. Unless your looking for parts!

Comment

Just don't slip and say the wrong thing in front of that stressed out parts guy

Comment

Working...
                              X