Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ticking sound...possible vacuum or exhaust leak?

Hey guys I've got one for ya.

The other day after having driven about 30 miles on my CJ it has developed a ticking sound. It is hardly audiable at an idle, but as soon as I give is some gas (esspecially in 3rd) it become extremely evident. I can't seem to locate the source and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. It honestly sounds like it's coming from the passenger side of the engine bay, which would rule out the exhaust. Any ideas on what to check?

I also noticed when I was checking my timing on Friday that there is like a vacuum leak out the side of my fuel pump, is this normal? The reason I say it's like a vacuum leak is that it doesn't suck air it blows it out...its on the back side (if your looking at the pump over the fender, it's on the left side...the bottom of the pump has a housing that looks like a T I guess, and the leak or whatever is coming out of the left port) I hope this makes sense.

Anyway any help or ideas, I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks

Matt

have u tried retarding ur distributor cap? It may be a smidgeon off causing a ping tap or "knock" as it is sometimes called......the other thing i would suggest is (leaving it in neutral of course) is have a buddy rev it up while ur looking for whuts going on...you may have something just rattling a lil bit

edit:after thinking a bit more....

You might also have lifters or rockers stickin and tappin

-goat

Comment

That's what I was thinking Goat...but I've already replaced the rockers on #6 Cyl when I bought it a year ago; this stopped all noise from under the cover, and this is a totally different tick than that was. This is more metalic, like when you shake a container of BB's.

Then again now that I think about it more, it does quiet down after things warm up and get moving a little. I wonder if you're right and I might have a sticky lifter. I guess it is time for an oil change, guess I'll just pull the valve cover off, (yet again...and just when I got it to stop leaking) and check just what is going on under there if anything.

I was also thinking about my ERG or EGR or whatever that thing is called...the tick sounds just like when you check the valve by pulling it out of the valve cover and shaking it. But then this is just from what the Haynes manual has told me, for all I know it could be bad and the source of my sounds, I'm not even clear on just what it does under there.

Hmmm, where is that genie when I need him...genie find the problem and fix it.... :lol:

Matt

Comment

i had the same kind of tick, and i used some berryman b12 chem tool and it quieted right up, the only reason i suggest it is bc ur bout to do an oil change, you only let that stuff run like 5 mins at idle then you change the oil...worked for me, just an option

-goat

Comment

I've never heard of it before...where can I get some?

Matt

Comment

Thats the same way mine was. And as I tore it down to fix the valves, I noticed that my exhaust manifold was cracked, big time. So I replaced it with a borla header, and it went away.

Comment

vatozone, o riley, napa, all them sorts of places...

-goat

Comment

Alright the latest in ths sagga is this:

Ran some Seafoam into the crankcase the other day and the ticking stopped, only to come back the next morning when I started things up cold.

I know the tick isn't vacuum or exhaust as it goes away when things are warm and I have driven it continuously for about 15 minutes or so. The real weird part is that after it goes away things start to idle really poorly and it runs very rough, like I'm missing a cyl. However if I turn of the engine when it does this and restart it, things work great, no ticking and a smooth idle. Also while I'm driving (after it warms up and the tick goes away) things run great, no hesitations, weird noises, hicups etc...runs smooth as glass.

This weekend I'm going to pull the plugs and look for fouling, as-well as the valve cover and look for signs of wear. Am I heading in the right direction you think?

I'm hoping that something here as set off some bells with some of you guys because it has got me totally stumped.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                X