Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85 CJ-7 Rebuild

To begin with...

To do a project like this...HAVE LOT'S OF PATIENCE!! (Those of us that have been there, will explain as time goes on...AND I'LL LEARN SOMETHING FROM ALL OF YOU).

I tore the Jeep down (every nut, bolt and washer) 9 years ago. It is a 1985 CJ-7 Laredo. You know...(P/S, A/C, Tilt Steering)...very nice. Like All Of Our Jeeps...Right? Well from there I started with the engine.

We (with the help of my Beloved Brother...**smiling looking from Heaven**) rebuilt a 350 Chevy, bored .030 over, line bored, 400 heads..shaved .001..ported and polished, mid-range RV cam, 10:1 TRW pistons, complete replacement of rods and mains, lifters, push rods, guides, JEGS lifter valley and diamond windage tray, Edelbrock Torquer Intake, Edelbrock 600cfm manual choke carb, and as for the rest of the engine..I'm takin' my time for now. I'm NOT a mechanic (so that's in the open). My Brother (paralyzed from the neck down) was the brains...I was simply his hands! So the engine phase of this project is dedicated to him...NOT ME. We rebuilt the engine in '95, I have kept it as well lubed as I can possibly keep it, and turned it as much as possible. It has been kept in a very nice shop ever since...with me babying it : (Covered at all times, making sure it's lubed, turning it, etc., etc.)

Over the years, I have been writing to manufacturers, dealers, etc., etc., reading posts, listening to people, checkin' out those beautiful Jeeps (anywhere..internet, swaps..you name it) talking to mechanics (Thanks Bill, Monte and Darrin), buying Novak Adapters, 4wd Hardware Parts, Jeep Dealer parts, etc., etc., basically.......taking my time!

November 1995
    The frame has been completely reinforced (ever look at the factory welds?). Be Sure You Know What You Are Doing!! Don't Weaken The Frame!!!!!

1996 - 1997

Saved money for Novak TH400/Dana 300 adapter. 4wd Hardware radiator, hi-volume water pump, etc.

Brother dies (May God Rest Your Soul...Steve)

1999 - 2003

Been savin' $ as best I could for Our Project (Steve, Bill, Monte, Darrin...you guys know who you are)

To make a long story short...here is where Stomper is at now!!

Frame has been blasted, primed and painted with 2 coats of gloss black (remember she's already been smoothed out as best I could).

Suspension - 4" Skyjacker Softride
    Shackles - Currie Heavy Duty Greasable
    Shocks - Rancho RS5000 x 4 (for now!)
    Tires - 33x12.50 on 10" wheels
    Fuel Lines - Hand polished for 3 nights (5-6 hours a night)
    Bushings - Red Polyeurethane
    Brake Cylinders - Complete rebuild (Dual cylinders ASAP)
    Brake Assembly - Complete replacement
    Front Axle - Complete rebuild (bearings, races and seals). The axles are original....I know..I know..(with a setup like this...you better be careful.) Well....I'll explain that later....it's already addressed
    Rear Axle - Complete rebuild (bearing, races and seals)
    Tranny - TH400 w/2000 speed stall converter
    Transfer - Dana 300

Well, I'll go for now. Guys and Gals....PLEASE KEEP JEEPIN'

..............AND TREAD LIGHTLY!!
Working...
X