X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swap narrow track for wide track

I just got a set of wide track axles dana 30 amc 20. this set does not have matching gears the front has 3.31 and the rear has 2.73. my narrow tracks have matching 3.54 not too much better but it is a daily driver so it is a compramise. I wanted to swap out the differential w/ring gear and shim along with the pinion gear with its shims and just swap it all into the wide track but I just worried about the backlash and preload and pinion depth. are the cases machined to matching specifications? if so this should work out fine. Any input would be apreciated

Your still gonna need to shim it correctly, check backlash and pattern.

Comment

is this something I should leave to the pros.

Comment

My experiences have proved the Dana axles are very close on overall tolerences and I have swapped matching ring,pinion,carriers and shims and had it right on the money. I would double check to be sure. On the AMC20 everyone had to be reshimmed, and most people tell me the same. I suggest getting someone with experience. Many times you can wing it and it will run, but when it wears in the gears are junk and then more $$ follows.

Comment

for the pros to swap and put new seals and bearings what am I lookking at for the work being done. i honestly thought I could handle it with the help of a few manuals but it is proving to be a task I don't have th indicator tools for one and wouldn't know how to messure backlash or preload or even pinion depth for that matter I guess I was dreaming when I thought I could simply swap one asle inerds to the other and everything would be peachy. boy was I wrong now I not even sure I should go with these at all. I could get a set of full width axles and the poisen spider kit for the cost to rebuild these axles.

Comment

you usually are looking at about $250 or so in new gears and parts and then another $250 or so for install.....per axle.....not cheap....this is probralby on the lower end some guys might charge more......

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I have a couple of places I am going to ceck out there is a place here in RI called Jeeps Unlimited and he doe nothing but Jeep work But the catch is that He is the only one around who does Jeep work so he is very busy and he has the market cornered. I am not sure if he rebuilds axles or if he sublets the work out but there is a transmission shop up the road from them who does this kind of work. I have to get some one with a truck to haul th axles so they can give me and estimate on the work. I have been working on the project by myself for a few years now I am getting very anxious to complete it. since I have the thing all apart I don't want to leave any stone unturned I want to put it together and not have to rip it apart to fix something I could have done while it was already apart. that is why I am taking so long aside from the fact that I have no buddys to come lend me a hand at my convienience. these things are heavy to move around.

Comment

the jeep axles are nothing special.....anyone gear guy can do it.....around here its the tranny guys that do regears.....trans shops usually do trannys, t cases and rear ends or just about anything with gears in it....

Comment

You really have an incredible learning oportunity.

You have a complete front and rear axle to play with.

Get a good repair manual and read up on changing gears. Put your wide track axles on a set of sawhorses and take them apart and put them back together with the old parts a few times. Each time, follow the instructions in the manual and make all the measurements they recomend. you will be suprised at how quickly you start to understand things when you have a guinea pig on the table. Experiment a little, take a few shims out of one side and see what it does to the wear pattern (marking compund will help here, NAPA sells it). You really have nothing to loose since they are old parts that don't even match your ratio anyway.

Now you may have to buy a few tools (dial indicator, in-lb torque wrench etc.) the trick is, you don't need top of the line, just something basic will do. Who knows, pretty soon people may come to you looking for advice on a gear swap.

Comment

I do have the confidence that I could do it on my own. I just don't have anyone to bounce issues off of if I run into any. I have the two sets of axles both amc 20's and dana 30's. One set of wide track's that don't have matching gears and the narrow tracks do have matching gears. the real pain is the pinion depth and preload. What I am going to do is swap everything from one axle and transfer it to the other and start there I gues once I get that far I will know what I will have to do next. Now that I found this forum I can trust You veteran jeepers to help me along. that is if the manuals get confusing. I really appreciate everyone's help I will continue to update as I go.

Comment

Working...
                    X