X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 225? 231? 302?

I have a ’71 CJ5 with a Buick 225 V6 and T14. Love it!! Only one problem….she got mad and threw a rod!!

I paid $500 for it about 2 months ago and when I got it, it didn’t run at all. The previous owner, for lack of better words, was a dope!! Nothing was hooked up right! Anyway….

I had it running decently considering what I started with and this happened. I’m considering rebuilding the 225 or swapping in a 231. As far as I know, the 231 is a direct bolt on to the T14. (with the exception of balancing the flywheel for oddfire). I also have a 302 in my garage that is a complete and solid engine, but I’d have to find a NP435 trans as well as an adapter for the transfer case.

Has anyone rebuilt the 225 and/or know of some good vendors?

Has anyone swapped in a 231?

302?

As always, $$ is the biggest factor. I’m not looking to build an extreme rock-crawlin, “hey look what I broke in the bottomless mud hole!!”, lets get stuck rig. (I most definitely would if I could, and I’d be the first to be saying “hey watch this” too!!) I want it as simple as possible, something to enjoy.

Thanks in advance for any advice or input!!!

Most parts for 231 will work with the 225 ie. intake, covers.
    the 225 is a great motor. There was a company called herbert automotive in Sacramento, CA that used to carry alot of 225 and 231 special parts.

Comment

Any Idea If They (herbert Automotive) Are Still Around? I Couln't Find Anything On Google. Thanks For The Input.

I Think I'm Leaning More Towards The Rebuild Now, I Think.

Comment

No clue when I rebuuilt the 225 I was in high school about 25 years ago.
        I'll look in the yellow pages and see if I can find them.

Comment

REBUILD! those 225's are stout little motors. there's just something to be said for staying original too.

Comment

Not sure about a T-14, but the 302 goes with most of them old trannys. Easier than a sbc swap- so I've been told, and am trying to prove as we speak.

Comment

Another option is the fuel injected 231 (3.8L) from a RWD Buick. They made them all the way through the mid 80s, and if they have FI, they are an even fire motor. If you look real hard, and I do mean Real hard you may find one out of a grand national, and that would be a turbo motor. Turbo in a CJ, that would be cool.

Sorry, just a Tim (the tool man) Taylor Moment...More Power, ARR ARR ARR!

Comment

Working...
              X