X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any reviews on a Matkins frame?

I was looking around on line and came across Matkins frames and they look rather robust they are all welded up with tube steal not mandrel bent like most others. I was just wondering if anyone had anything to share about them.

i asked about this maybe a year and a half ago. i got no responses. it seems as though nobody on here has bought one or seen one. I would have to say they look pretty friggin bad azz. i ended up buying a used one. matkins are pretty damn expensive, but no fire breathing big block could even think about twisting that thing up.

Comment

I am guessing your jeep doesn't Lean LOL
      Do you have any pics? Which frame did you end up getting? They have 5 or six different models. They have a few mandrel bent frames, but that is just to keep up with the Joneses there real bread and butter are the level I, II, and III. Boy are they heavy. some of there frame will more than double the stock weight of regular frame.

Comment

Hey guys, I'm going to be cautious with my answer not to be a sales pitch!
        I know I'll get roasted by someone if I'm not carefull. Before we sold any brand frame, we looked at this long and hard. We even had our own frame built as an excersize to see feisability from a $$ savings and liabilty standpoint. In the fabrication industry, mandrel bent tubing is usually considered more flexible, better stress crack resistance, and lighter in weight.
        Some will argue that cut, weld, cut, weld process is stronger but for a light vehicle like a Jeep I don't know if thats a benefit. If I was building a dump truck, that needed extra gusseting and reinforcement I might view this different. Many fab guys will tell you the less times that mild steel is hot,cold,cut,weld,grind and so on the stroger it is for the final product. Since these frames are'nt heat treated, I see their point. I've seen in person the Matkins, AFW, M-COR and others and still feel the mandrel bent is superiour.
        Beside any drag race, street rod, prostreet or pulling truck aftermarket cahssis I 've ever seen was mandrel bent. There has to be somthing to this in my mind. As usual thi sjust my opinion!!!

Comment

i had the opportunity to talk with some engineers with regards to how weight lifting equipment is built. they told me (and explained it better than i could try to understand) that bent tubing is better than cut and welded. i remember them saying that with torque on the metal, the tube will flex but the welds will not and could result in failure.

i'm not an engineer, so if you disagree take it up with someone who is because i can't intelligently argue the point. i'm just passing along what was told to me by a company engineer whos company made both mandrel bent and cut/welded products. the bent is also a more expensive way to make the products.

Comment

Originally posted by awesomejeep
            I am guessing your jeep doesn't Lean LOL
            Do you have any pics? Which frame did you end up getting? They have 5 or six different models. They have a few mandrel bent frames, but that is just to keep up with the Joneses there real bread and butter are the level I, II, and III. Boy are they heavy. some of there frame will more than double the stock weight of regular frame.
            i guess i should have said that i bought a used stock frame. but no, it doesnt lean, and thats why i got a different frame.

i see the validity in the points presented for the mandrel bent frames. but i always thought that the point of a boxed frame is so there isn't any flex. thats why semis and dump trucks have open frames so they can flex with the torque of the motor.

but, i have not seen or compared any aftermarket frames, so i can't really give a good comparison either way.
            i do know that you could probably find a decent stock one for a couple hundred bucks. or i even toyed with the idea of making my own, but decided that the tolerances were too much for me and my booty fab skills.

Comment

I had the Matkin's Level III frame under my CJ-7 about 6 years now. I'm not wooied about it flexing and cracking because it doesn't flex. That is what I like about it my clutch linkage doesn't fall out.

Matkins customer service sucks There were a lot of dumb thing I had to work out. Who buys a level 3 frame and put a stock bumper on it???? I had to rework that and some other stuff. If I were to do it over I would have bought my good welder first and built my own. The only reason I went with them was because of the strap that the t case skid bolts to.

Comment

Working...
              X