X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrome cj grill

Can anybody tell me, was the chrome CJ grill a cover or complete grill. I bought a cover from a guy in good shape today for $35 Has the black sticker around the edge. He said it was the factory grill off of a Laredo model. I thought the grills from the factory were chromed, not covered. This is not the cheep flat cover...it goes all the way over top edge. Look like it was "stuck" to grill with some black gooey "tape" Either way 35 bucks is cheap for as good as it looks.

Mine Goes All The Way Over The Edge Too, But Mind Is Bolted In Place

Comment

I have a chrome Laredo grill and it's just as you described. The mounting is a little funky. Yes it has cheap sticky gooey tape on the lower part to stick to the grill and some type of rubber fastner called "Well Nuts" on the top lip. There are oversized holes drilled into the original grill for the "well nnuts" to drop into.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that they were covers from the factory. With that being said mine is completely chrome but I am pretty sure that the guy who owned it before me had it done. I could be wrong but mine is the only I ever remember seeing this way. It's gotten rusty and I am debating whether to buy a cover and paint the old one or have the old one redipped. I haven't priced it out so I am unsure what it would cost.

Comment

Hey guys, I actually worked at Jeep dealer 1979-1984 and I replaced these. The factory covers from jeep were chrome plated plastic with double back tape and rounded edges except fender sides. These also had a 1/4" black pinstripe around edges in many cases. Aftermarket ones and later DCJeep ones are chrome plated steel with wellnuts as John stated. The stainless aftermarket ones use double back tape and do not go over edges.

Comment

That is strange mine is a chrome cover but it is steel. It has no nuts but it is stuck on by a tape or glue of some sorts. Never took it off. But I have seen other covers that are just a plate. The one I have wraps around each of the grill lines. And it does have a black pinstripe around the edge.
            Mine is from an 83.

Comment

Working...
            X