X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft top problem

well i finally broke down and put the top on today, first time since april. besides being a pain to put on, i have had a problem with the fit of the top. i bought a besttop supertop 2 years ago and it has never fit right where the plastic tab fits into the channel alongside the doors. it fits ok at the bottom but by the time it gets to the top it is completely out of the channel. i have tried everything i can think of to get this lined up. the channel leans to the rear and will not come any farther forward. i asked the guys a 4WD and they had no answers. i also called besttop and they said that's the way some of them fit. i know it has to fit better than that. i really don't want to cut any of the hardware to make it fit but i don't see any other way. if anybody has any suggestions on how to correct this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure your windsheild is in the right spot. The directions give you a measurement, if you don't have the instructions they are online. This will make a difference in the fit around the doors, you might just play around with this adjustment to get a spot you can deal with.
    Are you running hard doors or soft? I don't like the way soft doors fit, I have seen to much problems with these.

Comment

i've checked and rechecked all the measurements on the windshield, tried adjusting it to fit, still no good. i've got soft doors. if i tilt the windshield forward, i can't get the back of the top in the track. the old top fit ok so i tried using the old hardware and it did not correct the problem. i spent about a day last year trying to get this thing to fit and it about drove me crazy. i can live with it if i have to but i know it should fit better than this. the doors overlap the top when closed so it seals ok but it is still not right and i would like to correct this.

Comment

Try this, adjust the windsheild to fit for the doors. Then put the rear track in. Then set the rear bow. I had to do this for my CJ-5 top. Never could get it to fit any other way. Also put the top on when it is warm, it does make a huge difference when you didn't have it on for a long time. If you don't have a heated garage you can put a torpedo heater at the back pointed into the jeep with the rear window unzipped. But be careful on the time as it can overheat and melt stuff. But the good news is if you melt a side curtian you can get replacement from Bestop, don't ask how I know this. You couls also get away with keeping it in the house until it gets good and warm and then putting it on. But I don't know if you have anyone else in the house that might object to a top in the house.

Comment

Your talking this here:
          http://www.cjoffroad.com/images/cj5s...p/image074.jpghttp://www.cjoffroad.com/images/cj5s...p/image075.jpg

Mine does the same thing.
          One of these days I'm going to sand/file the bottom of the vertical piece were it hits the door latch so so the whole thing sits forward more when it's in place. I believe the length of these are to long forcing the top of it back. A little filing will make it fit better. Just a little at a time though.

Up to know I just ignore it. I have no problems with the top sealing if it's not in place.

If you have any othe rproblems with a CJ 5 fit, look here:
          http://www.cjoffroad.com/writeup.asp?WU_ID=28&noAdd=1

or here:

http://www.cjoffroad.com/writeup.asp?WU_ID=22&noAdd=1
          Last edited by John Strenk; 09-22-2006, 02:48 PM.

Comment

yeah, had to use the torpedo heater to get the top warm, to much of a fight when they're cold. my top fits just like the pictures you sent john. i asked the guys at besttop about filing off some of the bottom of the upright track and they said not to do that. it does seem to be too long. i've still got the old hardware so i might try shortening the old ones to see if that helps. i don't want to screw up the new ones. this is my third CJ and i've never had this problem with any of the others. i just thought that for what they get for a new top that it ought to fit better. it's not that big a deal but it's one of those things that should be easy to solve and drives me nuts when i can't fix it. i appreciate all your suggestions. hopefully someone knows the answer to this and we can fix this. at least it seals enough to not suck all the heat out. one of these days i'm moving away from these northeast ohio winters and i can leave my top off forever!

Comment

Can you explain your problem a little better? Mabey I just don't get it. I installed my new super top today and it went in with no problems. Mabey they changed the design, but the only slot for plastic tabs go along side the body. There is not any tabs along the door. Where the side windows meet the door, it has material that wraps around the frame and velcro that it attaches to.

Comment

on my top, it has the plastic tab running up and down along the door. it fits in fine at the bottom but the slot it fits into leans to the rear of the jeep a little and it comes out of the slot about halfway up. look at the pictures john strenk sent . it looks just like that. the only velcro on the top goes around the bar going to the windshield.

Comment

Hmmm, mine also has velcro vertically where you say the trouble is. Wonder what's up. DP

Comment

i bought my top from 4WD about a year and a half ago. the old top that it replaced was the same way. it's on a 1983 CJ5. i don't know if the tops were different for other years.

Comment

Yeah, looks like we are compairing CJ7 tops to CJ5 tops here. My top is about 3 years old.

Did you do any filing yet?
                      I cannot see any reason why that won't work unless the main hoop has to be at a certain angle or the top wont streach far enough. Look at the main hoop and see if yours is already vertical or at an angle.

Comment

i thought about drilling out the rivet that holds the upright into the upper bar and moving the top of the upright forward. that way it shouldn't change the position of the top bow. i still have the old hardware so if i screw up the hardware that's on the jeep, i'll still have a spare to replace it. i can't believe somebody at besttop didn't catch this.

Comment

Working...
                        X