X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Clutch Trouble

Broke down today and had to get towed I starting to have trouble getting her into gear and was forced to shut her down put her in gear and then restart to get going. After doing this 4 or so times I heard something break and then drop to the ground. I ran back to pick up what appears to be a long metal tube with a hose attached. Not sure what this is. Also now my clutch pedal just goes right to the floor without engaging anything. Anybody have any ideas what fell off and how hard this might be to fix?

Geep

Slave cylinder?

Sounds to me like the slave cylinder came off or apart. Post pics of what you picked up and your rig specs for a better synopsis.

Comment

did they use hydro clutch on CJs? the ones i've ever seen have been mechanical.

but at any rate, you'll need to post a pic of it to give us a better guess.

Comment

Off on a tangent just a little bit but the design of the clutch linkage on the CJ was an abomination. I'm sure you all have discussed it before. When I lived in Arizona back in the 80's I seem to remember an outfit called Republic Off-Road that had developed some sort of one piece replacement but I believe they went out of business and I have never seen the product since. Anyone else remember that?

Comment

How do I attach a pic?

Comment

hey i had the same thing happen to me not three days ago and it was my clutch linkage it did what you said yours did fell to the ground and my clutch went to the floor thank god i was in the driveway when it happened though they were connected with pins and they are the hardest damn things to find right now mines held on with wire ties or zip strips but thats not probably the recommended course to take. but yeah thats what it is

Comment

C:\Documents and Settings\Gordon Grauer\My Documents\My Pictures\bella 002

C:\Documents and Settings\Gordon Grauer\My Documents\My Pictures\bella 001

C:\Documents and Settings\Gordon Grauer\My Documents\My Pictures\bella 003

Comment

yeah, they used hydro is some jeeps, mostly ones with the iron duke 151 gm motor, i know for a fact cause when i converted my cj into hydro i used all OEM cj parts, slave, hose, and master. post pics we can actually see.
                clay

Comment

I am trying to post pics can you can see but am having difficulty. Please advise.

Comment

http://www.imageshack.us/ , they have to be hosted before you can post em.
                    clay

Comment

Thanks JeepMan!!! Here are the pics, I think.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4594/bella002sq4.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ella001po4.jpg

http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ella003wp7.jpg

Comment

Looks like part of the emission system purge tube that goes to the cat converter. Must be something else ailing your clutch
                        Last edited by DPete; 09-24-2006, 08:21 PM.

Comment

yeah, it must be mechanical linkage. when i first got my jeep, the linkage was so bad that the end of the rod would fall out of the clutch fork. also, on an old chevy that i had, the clutch fork had wore a hole through where the pushrod goes and the rod went right through, exhibiting symptoms that you mentioned. check out the diagram in the link below and crawl under your jeep and see if anything is messed up.

http://www.4wd.com/newsite/shop/prod...asp?pid=493003

Comment

Hey GEEP, that is part of the smog stuff, and the 2 bolts that hold the bracket for it also hold the end pivot point for the bellcrank. They mount into the bellhousing, on the driverside, They can be a real PITA. If you look underneath you should see the linkage hanging down, hopefully it's all still there! You can trace it from the clucth pedal, follow the rod thru the firewall. It attatches to an "ear" on a tube about 1'' in diameter. The tube is the bellcrank. That end attatches to the tub at the lower edge. Follow the bellcrank across toward the bellhousing, there you should find the bracket that fell off. The bolts probably rattled loose and slowly turned out until pow, no more clutch. Hope this helps some, and I hope all the parts are still there!!
                            Good Luck!

Comment

Item #9

The bracket that I'm talking about, (being held with the same bolts as the smog tube) is item # 9 in the diagram that nuttzach posted. I had to use a swivel socket on mine, but then the smog tube was there. Again, hope this helps and good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X