Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep lift day, What the F**ck?

Hey Fellas,
    I have a WTF? http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...9-23-06017.jpg

This is a 79 cj7 and was putting on a 4" lift. Whats wrong with this picture? Any reason this should or shouldn't be happening? Wrong lift perhaps for a cj5? Wrong year? Over-reacting? HELP........

How tight did you tighten the shackle bolts? there is a specific torque for them and also did you lube the rubber/poly bushings before you put it back together? According to M.R. 252 Manual the toque spec on the hangers should be 24ft-lbs and the pivot bolts should be 100ft-lbs the u-bolts should be (9/16-18 ) 100ft-lbs (1/2-20) 55ft-lbs
    Last edited by awesomejeep; 09-23-2006, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Well, that is definitely a WTF!

I can't tell you what happened, but I can offer some info, and ask a few questions from you.

The Springs from a CJ5 from 75 to 83 are the same as the 76 to 86 CJ7 springs.

Did you get the springs bolted into the rear spring hanger? What brand lift?

Are you sure your old springs were stock?

Measure the distance from the big spring pivot bolt on the rear spring to the big spring pivot bolt on the front spring. (fixed end of the spring to fixed end of the spring) Some one may have installed longer springs on the front of your CJ and moved the rear spring hanger back to make them fit.

Comment

Yep it's messed up. I was there and we tried all kinds of things to get those to drop. Initialy it was jacked up from the diff. Then we tried jacking it up from the front bumper and prying them down.... no luck. I think he measured the rear thats still on there and the new lifted springs were like 2 inches short from eye to eye. I dont know what the torque setting was on the shackle, but I was able to move it back and forth with my hands before we put the rear portion into the hanger.

P.S. Hes got action shots, he's just afraid to show them

Comment

Are the sway bar links connected? also the pitman arm doesn't look too secure. I know you are still fitting but sometimes small things get forgotten.

Comment

I bought a 4" lift from rough country and they sent me four front springs. After figuring out the problem I called them and they sent me the rear ones and I got to keep the extra front set. It looks like you may be in a similar situation. If you need me to measure mine I will be glad to do it for you.

Comment

Well after taking off my "stock" springs we (Tom74'CJ-5 and I) decided that it was a 2" lift. Everything is bolted in to spec but the shackles, however I don't think thats the problem. Also we were not drinking when we put this together, maybe that's the problem......Humm
              Anyway, we will work on the rear on Wednesday and see what happens then.
              We may trailer it to 4WP and show them and see what they have to say....
              Here are some more picts......

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...9-23-06005.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...I-LiftJack.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...9-23-06008.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...9-23-06006.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...9-23-06015.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...9-23-06001.jpg

Comment

how many spring's do you have in the rear and in the front. i think there should be one more in the rear than the front, i have 6 in the rear and 5 in the front R.E. if you have the same amount in all 4 that could be your problem, like mcodrake was saying. i duno know the fixed point on the rear of the front spring's looks like it's in the right spot to me.

Comment

Love the protective foot wear. I don't think it could be a case of four rear springs because the front and the back springs are different widths for your model CJ. did your lift kit com with the wedges that you put in between the spring and the axle perches? I am eshaustng all my thoughts I didn't see any in your pics that is why I asked I have a 4" skyjacker lift and I didn't have any issues at all but my springs had the wedges I also added a 1 3/4" shackle lift at the same time. I hope we are getting closer to solving your issue.

Comment

That kit isn't supposed to be done as an SOA, is it? Looking at the pics that is the only thing I can think of that might push some of that arch out of those leaf packs to set the shackles right.

Only other thing I can think of is was that Jeeps wheelbase ever modified? In other words, are the rear mounts for the front springs in the right place? Maybe someone in the past moved em back for some reason?

Comment

If the Jeep wasn't previously lifted I can't imagine why any one would modify the spring hangers and maintain stock height. But you never know with PO's! The only thing I can think of is maybe they are springs for a short nose CJ5, what were they, '75 and earlier? But I don't think the wheel base was different. Just a longer cowl and shorter front clip. Are the part numbers on the springs visible so you can reference what they should be? Was it converted to YJ springs possibly? The fronts do look wider than stock in the pictures, are they 2.5" wide or 2"? Could be it was using YJ springs and luck of the draw brought you 2 sets of CJ rears.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepwhore
                        The only thing I can think of is maybe they are springs for a short nose CJ5, what were they, '75 and earlier? . . . Are the part numbers on the springs visible so you can reference what they should be? Was it converted to YJ springs possibly?

The 75 and earlier front springs are still 2 inches wide, but they are shorter than 76 up springs, that would explain a lot. Check those numbers and call tech support, that will answer that question.

To fit YJ springs on the front of a CJ you have to move the rear hanger back or the front hanger forward (about an inch or so). I can tell from the first pic that the front hanger has not been moved, and looking at that stock shackle setup, I'm convinced that you had stock style CJ springs before the install.

Comment

My CJ had YJ springs on it without moving the hangers (mind you it ended up destroying the front driveshaft....ooops). But I agree, the stock shackles gave me the impression of a stock set up as well.

Comment

Your rear springs should be wider than your front springs by 1/2 inch. There is no way you have the spring packs wrong or backwards. Your front springs will not go in backwards because the hardware and bushings for the spring hangers and shackles is completely different front to back of the springs, rear axle to front axle are all completely different. You'd be able to tell with the spacing on the shackles and on the spring hangers. Your not crazy, that's a WTF. Your spring pack is too short. I'm with tracraym, measure and call the manufacture. You would be able to tell if the PO messed with your setup, but from the pictures you've installed in correctly with the wrong springs, and your hangers are in the stock location. Let us know what you find. PS: You should get new shackles while you're at it. I'm for greasable, with the center post. I found some with 3/8 of lift which shouldn't hurt you.

Comment

Wtf

Originally posted by gnarly
                              Your rear springs should be wider than your front springs by 1/2 inch. There is no way you have the spring packs wrong or backwards. Your front springs will not go in backwards because the hardware and bushings for the spring hangers and shackles is completely different front to back of the springs, rear axle to front axle are all completely different. You'd be able to tell with the spacing on the shackles and on the spring hangers. Your not crazy, that's a WTF. Your spring pack is too short. I'm with tracraym, measure and call the manufacture. You would be able to tell if the PO messed with your setup, but from the pictures you've installed in correctly with the wrong springs, and your hangers are in the stock location. Let us know what you find. PS: You should get new shackles while you're at it. I'm for greasable, with the center post. I found some with 3/8 of lift which shouldn't hurt you.
                              cj Manny sorry for the wrong advise, all my springs are the same width as i converted to yj springs, forgot about that, sorry. gnarly i also apoligize to you, that was totaly stupid of me, please forgive me i did'nt mean to get you all worked up. mikey
                              Last edited by 1tuffcj; 09-25-2006, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X