X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ5 Questions

Ok, I got a call from a friend of mine yesterday. He has gotten the Jeep bug. While he has wheeled and can fab really well, he has always has trucks. He now told me he is going to fix a CJ5(mid to late 70's model) that he has and he is going to build and wild CJ7. The CJ5 is his frist project so he can drive it around and do some wheeling. As far as he knows it is totally stock drivetrain. 258, 3 sp, Dana 20. I tried to give him as much info as I could, but I really know more about newer CJ7's. He mainly had questions surrounding the transfer case/transmission. He wanted to know if he could throw another transmission out of another CJ into it (ie an SR4 or maybe a T5) and have it bolt up to the Dana 20. He was also wondering what transmission the 3 speed is and what are the likely gear ratios in the axles that would ahve come with it.

Any help would be great. I am excited my friend has come over to the Jeep side.

cj5 trannys

Good luck with the 5! The tranny should be a dana 20 and it can handle a tranny change as long as you have the adapters. Advance adapters or a junk yard may be good places to find the new parts. I have a dana 20 with a t15 3 speed in mine right now but over the next few weeks i will be putting a dana 300 and a t176 in mine for the extra gear. If he is going to drive it everyday then the extra gear will be a great help. I know that cj7 and some of the first wranglers had 258 and a t5 together or have bee switched to have these. Good Luck, and post some pictures! The axles are most likely a 20 in the rear and a 30 in the front.
    T

Comment

if he plans on wheeling it his best bet would be a t18. i just saw one for in one of the forsale threads on a board but can't remember where. it was mated to a d20 already. i might be wrong but i think it was jeepdaddy jason. if you need parts for it, i don't know about texas but there's a guy in canton oh named fred mottice who either has or can get anything. his number is 330-875-5227. he is sometimes hard to get a hold of, but he's a good and reputable guy.

Comment

One of the main problems with a swap from driveline parts from a CJ7 to a CJ5 is length. With the 5 having a shorter wheel base it can become a factor. The t-5 is a long tranny compaired to the T-150 that was most likely in the vehicle. When you swap out these things you will have other things to consider. As you said your friend can fab he will have to, as the skid plate will not work and he will have to change out drive shafts. Also as he goes to a longer tranny he will find other nasty problems with the wheelbase as his rear driveshaft becomes very small and has a nasty angle.
        However all can be done with the right amount of money and time.

Comment

'72 - '75 CJ5's (aka Intermediates). The I6 came with the T14 tranny while the V8 (304) came with the T15 tranny. All had the D20 Tcase. I second Fubar's recommendation regarding the T18 swap. Definitely need a bellhousing and probably a bull gear to make it mate with the D20 but definitely do-able and well worth the time and expense if changing tranny's anyway. The SR4 or T5 will also work but again, a '76 - '86 bellhousing will be required. Drive shaft mods are definitely in order and quite possible will be spring perch mods as well.

The front and rear diffs are D30 and D44 respectively. The D44 often is in LSD (tracloc) form. Common rear ratios were 3.73.

'76 - '86 CJ5 and CJ7 had a variety of tranny's but this is the bellhousing you need to make the T18 work. Earlier this year I swapped in a T-18 into my '75 from a J series truck so I can probably assist from afar if necessary. Just need to know what year model he is starting with. I believe the D300 was the Tcase here and is more desired due to the lower gear ratio.

Not real sure on this Jeep era but the D30 front and AMC 20 rear (occasionaly with D44 rear, although rarely seen) axles occupied these Jeeps. I think the common ratio here was something like a 2.54 or higher (numerically lower). Maybe some of you can chime in and correct me for this era.

Comment

xlr8n,
            Sounds like you hit most of it on the head from what I have researched. I am pretty sure that my 79 cj5 with the 304 has 3.54 gears, but I can't recall all the gear ratios available. I have the T150 and the D20, and I'm in the process of upgrading to a T18A and a D300. Without the overdrive, I got 17+mpg on my last road trip, so I don't see the need to try to fit a bigger tranny in just to get an overdrive...but I do want a granny. T18 is a stong platform, and the T18A has a good first gear (6.32 if I recall correcly.) I think it's one of the best solutions for the CJ5 due to the short wheelbase.

Good luck!

Comment

I have an intermediate with a stock T18 behind my straight six. It's the 4 to 1 version.

High5

Comment

you might want to consider a spicer 18 tcase. they're twin stickable and very strong. but most important for you, they're extremely thin. it will help your drive angles a lot.

Comment

I'd also tell him to stay away from the SR-4 tranny, they arent to strong, and have a funny shifter thats hard to find, and wears out fast. as far as ratios, mine are 2:73's, I beleive that's the highest ones put out by Jeep, at least for the model 20 rears.

Comment

[. I think the common ratio here was something like a 2.54 or higher (numerically lower). That would be 3.54, not 2.54

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. I talked to him last night and he has an opportunity to pick up some Scout D44 axles. He is not sure he will do it, but is thinking it will be a good option to have. He has so many ideas right now I don't think he is sure what he is going to do. He had to go and said he would call me again tonight so hopefully I will have some more info soon.

He told me last night that he is not sure what year the Jeep is. It is either a 75, 76, or 79. I am not sure how the previous owner was confused on this, but apparently he didn't remember or something.

Comment

Working...
                      X