• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 304 Hard Starting....

Here is my setup by the way.

Edelbrock intake/carb/cam
    D.U.I. distributor
    Timing is set to 12 degrees BTC

She just doenst want to fire. If I apply any gas the starter really struggles to turn t he engine anymore. To me it sounds like its flooding. Or maybe my starter is too weak possibly. When it does start alot of smoke comes out the exhuast, I want to say a purple color.

does it start at all, hot or cold. my 304 did the same thing, never did find out what is was ended up putting in a 401. i know i did'nt help but i'll follow this also curious. purple? sicadelic must be a early 70's. sorry good luck

Comment

what voltage are you getting on the primary of the coil?
      maybe a bad resistor wire?
      any back fires before this started to happen?

Comment

i dont see the connection of applying gas and struggling starter. but i guess there could possibly be a link.
        have you tried starting by rolling down a hill and dumping the clutch? or checked voltage to the starter? this is wierd, and it seems my 304 will turn over for a long time before it fires now that you mention it.

Comment

Just a thought. The dui is one wire ignition isnt it? If it is, here is what I ran into with my HEI dist. The voltage was a keyed voltage, meaning there was voltage when the key was on. Problem was that during the cranking the voltage dropped off to zero. I fixed that by adding a wire from the starter solenoid (the extra small post) that gave 12 volts during cranking only, once you stop cranking the other 12 volts supplied the voltage. Dont know if thats the same with yours but it certainly fixed mine.

Comment

have similar problem with my 73....

If it sits for a week or so at a time...which it usually does....it turns over and over then starts moaning and turns slower..... moaning.... then fires right up like everything is perfect and runs great......

Comment

slow starter is either a bad ground or not enough voltage. check your connections at the battery, starter and grounding point. make sure they're secure and clean.

non starting this time of year is many times a vacumn leak or a choke that's not closing all the way.

do some checking and searching and let us know what you find. that will help us help you.

Comment

Yes, I have been playing around wit different timings and had a few backfires recently.

I know that when I installed the HEI the power wire had voltage both at run and during the start circuit.

I wonder if my battery is just dying because it doesnt crank very well, and during that crank it doesnt supply enough voltage to the distributor.

Or maybe the starter is going bad and takes too much of the battery power to run it.

I guess I will goto the parts store and have them test my battery. Though I think I did thuis before and they were very confused with this old of a vehicle and told me they didnt know where to put their cables.

Comment

just my opinion, but when i had my 304 in my jeep it use to drive me crazy, realy weak starts especialy after i ran it for a while. new battery, cyliniod fender mount, starter nothing helped. once it was runnig it ran awsome, anyway with this build i'm takeing no chances i baught power master starter xtreme and a 140 amp alt, will see if these upgrades make a diferrence. i think these motors are to powerfull for stock staters in my opinion.has your cyliniod on the fender or regulator i forget,i use to cary a spare in the glovebox always had to replace. good look. 1tuffcj

Comment

Cylinnoid is on the fender on my CJ. I am going tolook ito getting a better Starter as you also are trying. Good luck to us both.

Comment

Same here....connections are good and a 1000 amp battery.......turns over fine first couple spins then slows down and does the moaning thing.....loud moaning.....cant describe it....

Comment

Originally posted by diamatron
                        Yes, I have been playing around wit different timings and had a few backfires recently.
                        If the timing is too far off it will cause the starter to drag (hard to turn the motor over) and/or backfire. Try moving the timing to get it started, then set the timing to specs using a timing light with the advance disconnected. Most timing trouble after that will most likely be vacuum advance related.

Comment

I was moving the timing around a couple days ago cranking it while it was hooked via jumper cables to my running ranger. I would love to take off the timing cover and check to make sure my cam is in time just to eliminate that, but doubt I will.

Anyway. When I take off the air filter the air valve is completely open, allowing full air flow to enter the carb.

I believe this is correct?

Comment

I have a 304, and it's not the easiest starter in the world. Like many have said, if it sits for a while, I have to crank on it for a bit. Seems to flood really easily...after it's been running for a bit, then I park it for a few minutes/hours, cranks right up. It bothers me sometimes, but I think my carb just needs a rebuild/tune...might have some more info on my issue in a bit. It's at a shop now getting some work done, possibly including some carb work.

Comment

I know it's a huge investment, and not worth it for some, but we just put the howell EFI on my father-in-laws 360, and it starts after 2 cranks now - always, hot or cold (engine or outside air); and this thing runs like never before. He also upgraded to a DUI.

Comment

Working...
                              X