X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb and steering fix

I've got a '84 CJ7 that needs a lot of attention, but I wanted to start with steering and carb first. The steering has tons of play in it. Will changing tie rods help or do I need to have steering box rebuilt? Any suggestions?
    Also, have the weber carb and want to replace with a better one. What would be the best carb to replace it with?
    Thanks!

Whats wrong with the Weber? You can have it jetted to higher cfm K551 has 300 cfm with the K55138 it goes up to 400 cfm. Do you have a stock intake?
    I think better than that Weber you would probably need to go four barrel, TBI or EFI. big money for the latter. As for the steering start with the steering shaft they are known to be sloppy.

Comment

first thing to check on steering would be

1) is the box flopping all over when u move the steering wheel??? This requires 2 people...one to turn the wheel and another to watch the box...if its moving all around ....which it probrably is.... it needs a steering box brace....

2) Steering shaft....bearing up top by master cylinder....slip joint down low by the box....

3) then check tie rods, wheel bearings, and such....

Comment

Working...
      X