X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Jeeps. Have a few questions.

I just bought a 74 CJ5. DOn't know too much about the particulars of Jeeps. It's the 258 6 cyl, 4sp (w/ creeper gear), ALL original. 20k miles.
    The Jeep is really in fine shape, I just have few questions.
    What make/model is the trans and Tcase?
    What make/model are the axles?
    What is the likely final gear ratio? (seems to top out at 65mph on small tires 235/75/15's)
    I am looking forward to fixing up/restoring it and keeping it for trail use.

You probably have a T18 Tranny and a D20 Tcase. Axles are a Dana 44 rear and a Dana 30 front. No real sure on the gear ratios. Maybe 3.54s
    Only 20k miles, thats a good find.

Comment

D20 case? Dana right?
      T18, who makes that?
      Yeah I think I got a pretty good deal. I have no paper verifcation that the mileage is original, (title does say AM actual mileage) but the odo works and the Jeep drives real tight, no slop in the steering, brakes don't pull to the side at all. Clutch grabs real well. SHifts easy, 4wd works good.
      Only body damage is dented front fender and 4 small rust holes in the sides of the tub, easliy fixable. Floor boards are all solid, still heve factory paint top and bottom, same as the wheel wells. Everything works heater wipers, etc, except for the backup lights and oil pressure guage (think it's the sender because the little idiot light on the speedo lights up).
      Best part is, I paid $2k for it.
      I'm not looking to really mod it at all, except maybe a lift in the future.
      Is this Jeep worth keeping 100% original? Would I hurt the value of it by installing a lift and maybe lockers?
      RIght now, a good cleaning, couple new gaskets, and a paint job is all that's req'd to get it to almost showroom condition.
      APologies for the 20 questions, but I've found these forums to be very helpful with my sleds, DMax, boat, etc.

Comment

If it has some rust, I would say fix it up and wheel it. for $2k you cant beat that. Build it, Wheel it and have fun.
        Last edited by BustaBizz; 09-29-2006, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Pretty sure you either have 3.73's or 4.27 gears.

Comment

Busta,
            Yeah, I intend to keep it for a while and wheel it. He!! I have mountain 5 miles from my doorstep.
            Rust wise, this Jeep is clean enough to be a good,easy resto project. I'm talking 4 small holes the size of a dime or smaller and not in the typical rust areas liek wheel wells and floorpans. Just wondering if #'s matching restos fetch more money dowwn the road like they do w/ muscle cars, etc. I'd hate to mod this one up and find out I just ruined something that may be a collectors item. I'd rather park this one and buy a beater if that's the case.

Comment

If you want a wheeler and something that has matching #s, just save the old parts. Be careful on mods that requre cutting and such, if you stick with bolt-ons, you can make a pretty fun Jeep, and not hurt the potential value of a restoration. Oh yea, keep the wheelin' somewhat under control as well...hate to flip one you want to keep original and undamaged.

Comment

Pics! pics! pics!

Comment

Originally posted by awesomejeep
                  Pics! pics! pics!
                  I
                  l'll try to get some pics up next week. Just a plain ole'copper colored Jeep.
                  CO Jeepin', Yeah Not gonna get too crazy, and a lift is bolt on anyways.

Comment

Get the rear tires off the ground and spin the drive shaft by hand. Count the number spins compared to the tire. This is your gear ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by 47driver
                      Get the rear tires off the ground and spin the drive shaft by hand. Count the number spins compared to the tire. This is your gear ratio.
                      Oh yeah! Forgot about that.

Comment

The T-18 was made by Warner Gear before the merger to Borg-Warner. Its very strong (Ford uses them in 3/4 ton trucks) and has a 4.02 creeper gear
                        if its the orig CJ trans.
                        The Dana book shows the avail gear ratios in 1974 in CJ5's was
                        3:73 open or Traclock
                        4:09 open only
                        4:27 open or Traclock
                        5:38 open only

Comment

Thanks Woody. W/o getting under it, I'm pretty certain it's the T-18, does have a creeper gear. Diff's are definately open unless neither Trac Loc is grabbing at all. Will check the gear ratio w/ the armstrong method, but prolly 4.09's or 4.27's. Tops out at about 65 mph.

Comment

Working...
                          X