X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep pulls hard when I let off

Anybody know why, the steering is nice and tight, I just re-lubed and re-torqed the wheel bearings, the right front had alot of play in it so I thought that might be the problem, but my test drive proved otherwise, this thing pulls hard to the right when I let off and pulls almost as hard to the left when I get back on it, this only happens under hard acceleration and fast deacceleration, it drives straight as an arrow just cruising down the road, it's a 79 cj7, with 35's, 4" spring under lift, the axle u-bolts are all tight and there is almost zero play in the steering, everything seems to be in really good shape, and again, everything is tight, and it does not happen under braking, it's been doing it for a while now and progressivly getting worse, well I'm stumped, hope you guys can help.

Thanks,
    Charlie

i'll take a shot, it could be that your u bolts are loose, and the little pin on top of the springs could be worn oblong, or the hole on the bottom, inside your spring pirch that holds the springs in place could be oblong, worn out. hope i said that right, good luck. i'm sure somebody on here will add to this as this is just a guess.

Comment

Do you have lock out hubs? If you do are you sure it is releasing. Just a thought.

Comment

sounds like the frame is torqued and making you shift back and forth. it happens to me to but i have lots-o-torque in the engine compartment.

Comment

It sounds like it is torque related. Since you say it is progressively getting worse the first thing that comes to mind is a cracked frame. Look the frame over good, especially around the spring mounts.

What you described is normal driving characteristics for my '5. Moreso since I locked the rear.

Comment

What you describe sounds like "bump steer" When you accelerate the front of your jeep lifts up. Since the steering box is mounted on your frame it moves up with the frame. This pulls on the steering knuckle on the axle causing it to pull left.

When you let off or decelerate the frame moves down. This causes you to push on the steering knuckle causing you to turn right under deacceleration.

It doesn't matter how tight your steering is, it's all simple mechanics. YJ's have a track bar that will push or pull on the axle as you go up or down to minumize the effect on steering. The track bar needs to be parralel with the steering arm (drag link?)

Dropped pitman arm, high steer,flip kits, etc. all help to reduce this by lowering the steering arm (drag link?) between the steering box and the knuckle. Best would be to have this bar horizontal or parralel to the axle. It won't get rid of all of it but it will help.

Why it's called "Bump steer" is because when you hit a bump and that end of the axle moves up. it pushes the steering knucle causing the jeep to turn.

You did mention you have a dropped pitman arm in your other post. Got a picture of your front end?

I like xlr8n idea of a cracked rusted frame also.

Comment

I'm gonna crawl under there and check out the frame real good, I hadn't thought of that, although I'm starting to wonder if the "getting worse part" isn't just my imagination, I'll try to get a pic of the front end but it won't be anytime soon, It's opening weekend of bow season here in Michigan, and I'm gonna be up a tree for a few days, I know the drag link is not parralel to the axle, but I don't think it's to bad, and the bump steer isn't bad either, no worse than any other jeep I've driven, and everything in the rear suspension is good and tight with no unusual wear, anyway, thanks for all the input, no doubt with all this help we'll figure it out.

Thanks,
              Charlie

Comment

Try this,
                Lock your steering wheel in place. Clamp a meter stick to the frame rail on the passenger side were you can measure the distance from the meter stick to the edge of the tire. Then get a Hi Lift and jack up the bumper on your jeep and see how much closer the tire is to the meter stick.
                Maybe if you have time. Plot a curve were every inch higher vs how much closer the wheel moves.

Comment

rj2v

I had the same thing. Turned out it was the rear axle, I spun out the hubs on the end of each side.

Comment

i wanted to add to this one as well. i have a 1978 cj-5. it has the monster 304. has a skyjacker 4" lift and about 1" worth of body. all new steering parts, all new front end, minus well-bearings.(alignment shop said all were still good). i did notice the front shock mount has been welded at some point in its life. i love this jeep and have tons of time in it, however it pulls like an sob! left off and you almost feel like you might just roll the damn thing. hard winds are enough to bring this as well. really would love help with this one. if need any more info, lemme know and i'll post it up!

Comment

[IMG]C:\Bulk Storage\cj5 jeep[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep_Creep
                        [IMG]C:\Bulk Storage\cj5 jeep[/IMG]
                        attempted to up a picture of the jeep, but guess i can not.

Comment

Working...
                        X