X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got a question bout a 76 cj5

my brother who is currently in iraq bought a 76 cj5 before he went back from leave and it has no tail gate does anyone know why this is?

i think only the early cj5 had a tail gate, up intill 75.thats just a guess, someone will deffinetly tell you the correct answer. i have a 79 with no tailgate.

Comment

if it is not the original body, you have the option of no tailgate especially if its fiberglass. is it the original?

Comment

My '76 has a tailgate. As I understand it, some did and some didn't.

Comment

No Tailgate on my 76 CJ5

Comment

When Kaiser owned Jeep their CJ5 (Early CJ5) had a stamped tailgate similar to the willys. When AMC bought them out in late '71, the redesigned the CJ5 with a longer snout, and no tailgate for '73 (late CJ5)..... Im not sure if the aftermarket late CJ5 fiberglass tubs have a tailgate option or not, but I dont think that the late CJ5 had the option from the factory...

Comment

I have an 81 CJ-5 with a steel body and no taigate....

Comment

as far as i know its not a fiberglass body and do u think it would be easy to put a tailgate in?

Comment

with a doner tailgate or a custom one and a welder and some brackets anything is possible, o yeah and a p.s. when i ordered my body from 4wd told them is was a 79cj5 there is know tailgait option.

one more thing you will wanna address the issue of sureing up the corner's. as you will be takeing the integrity of the tub away. i hope i said that right, make stong hinges and closer catch. imagine a beer can now take a section out of it what do you got? answer: a hloe in a beer can.
                  Last edited by 1tuffcj; 10-05-2006, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Hey guys, I had to go to the Jeep parts book for this one. They showed the CJ-5s were available with or without a tailgate thru the 1983 model year which was the end for the CJ5. At that point most were ordered without. They also continued to be outside the body with chains like a step side truck.

Comment

Interesting....are there any statistics in that book that show what % of them were ordered w/ tailgates by chance? Im just curious, thanks woody

Comment

No not in the books I have. Unfortunatly I've never seen any option breakdowns like GM had on there models. What has hurt Jeep is the multiple ownerships, especially during the AMC/Renault yuck years. Its a wonder that lateCJ's did'nt have Puegot 4cyl and junk BA5/10's
                        I myself have only seen 1 or 2 ever from 1976-83 on the 5's

Comment

Im with ya, I cant say that I ever recall seeing one... and If I did, I probably thought it was an early model

Comment

The jeep in my avatar is a 74 CJ 5 but had a 76 body. It had no tailgate. I just sold it 2 weeks ago. I owned it for 18 years. I kinda miss her ! I still have an XJ and a ZJ thank goodness.

Comment

ya mine is a 75 and has the chains but it also has support brackets near the tail gate and im now wondering if someone put a tailgate in mine

Comment

Working...
                              X