X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with shackle problem

I have a 79 cj-7. I have been trying to totally restore it. I put on a Black Diamond 3" lift and 1" Shackles and the springs don't line up with the spring hangars. It seems that the axle perches are too far apart, both the front and the rear axles. Did I do something wrong? The Jeep seems to do quite abit of wandering on the road and it just doesn't lok right. I put on a front steering stabilizer and it doesn't help much. Any ideas? I can't put pics on for some reason. Don't know how.

are the axles originally from that vehicle?

Comment

Do you have the front and rear springs switched around? (Fronts on the rear and rears on the front)

Comment

Originally posted by 14/88
        Do you have the front and rear springs switched around? (Fronts on the rear and rears on the front)
        If that were the case, the springs wouldn't fit in the spring hangers. CJ's have wider rear springs.

I'm with fubar on this one. Sounds like the axles are not original.

Pictures would definately help. Open a photobucket.com account & upload them there then post the link here.

Comment

Wandering on the road is because your lift and longer shackles reduced your positive caster angle. You'll need some steel degree shims to restore the caster angle to factory spec.
          As for the perches not lining up... sounds like non-stock axles... need pics

Comment

A try at pics

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l5...ion=firstLogin

Comment

hmmmm. wow. I've not had that happen before. I'm curious now.

Comment

how is the condition of the rear spring hangers were they ever bent. from your pics the front right shackle bracket looks like it is off center. has the frame ever bean wracked. also it looks like you over tightened the shackles bolts. You could use washers or spacers to make up for the gap between the spring and the shackle. how did you put the kit on. did you do one side at a time or did you lift the whole front end and loosed fit everything then tight everything up? if you did one side at a time you could run into some alignment issues. That is all I can think of for now. Sorry I am long winded.

Comment

I had a similar problem with the bolt together shackles being canted off center no matter how I tightened the bolts. I went back to another after mkt set w/o any lift that were welded one piece and resolved that problem.Some of our jeep group members bought extended lift shackles and they were tilted when installed.

Comment

I have the same situation after a 4" lift.....i didnt do the lift it was PO.....but i assume the shackles came with the kit.....

Acts like the springs are too far out.......maybe it helps for flexing or something.........

Comment

Just a suggestion.... have you tried setting the jeep on jackstands at the frame behind the main eye mount and loosening the u bolts till the springs move freely at the spring perch? There is a little play where the spring center bolt mounts to the axle pad..... with the springs loose, see if the shackle end will pull inward some. I did this on both of my jeeps during spring swaps and noticed that a little movement of the spring at the axle pad can be quite a bit at the shackle. Maybe this will help.

Comment

What I have tried

I don't kwnow the history of the jeep. I bought it and it was pure rusted out stock but it drove great. The frame was rusted pretty bad in the back half so I tore it completly down to a stripped frame. I had steel bent to match frame dimensions and proceeded to cut and weld new back half. It is fully boxed and straight due to the fact I did not cut out old frame. It is still inside. I did not have a frame table. I welded rear spring eyes back on at factory width. When I was installing the new springs I put them on to the axle first (very loose) and started to put under jack standed frame. There was no body in the way. The springs just would not line up to the frame they appear to be about 1 1/2" too wide in the front and the rear. The front mounts were never touched. I have the spring centering pins in the holes on the axles. The front spring perches are cast. I did not tighten anything till all bolts were in. I have taken apart several times and can not figure it out. Can the factory spacing on the sring perches be designed to put this in a bind? And with the new lift it makes it seem more out of line? I have even swapped the springs right to left and same thing. I have the shackles too tight to keep It lined up as best as possible. I am totally lost. The Black Diamond factory assistance was no help. They are Super Lift. Any suggestions? Everybody sees this first and asks What is wrong with your springs?

Comment

More pics

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l5...&addtype=local

Comment

Brian,
                            I have a 77. The rear shackles look correct to me, in fact, they appear identical to me to mine. Do you know if the pinion angle for your driveshaft has been corrected for the increased angle from the lift? The spring centering pin/bolt that runs through the spring pack in the middle and sets into the spring saddle/perch on the axle doesn't look seated correctly. Your left rear picture is pointing me in this direction for the rear axle. It appears to me yours is missing, allowing your spring pack to "float" between the leaf's and the saddle. I know you said you checked, but sometimes though, if too much shim is applied the pin won't reach the saddle, or the shim was not drilled out for the pin. Look closely at your axle saddles and verify the pin is going through the entire spring pack, through the shim if you have it, and into the saddle. You may have to lift the vehicle and pull the ubolts to tell, but I would look there for your trouble. As for the front axle, I'm perplexed, it looks a little tweaked to me....nope not tweaked, just went and looked. They do lean a little outwards on the bottom of the shackle. You're right, something isn't right on the rears. Hey, what is the distance, inside of spring hanger to inside of spring hanger on the rear. I'll measure mine if you'd like.
                            Last edited by gnarly; 10-10-2006, 05:02 AM.

Comment

i can't stop looking at it, you say you welded the rear spring hangers on how about the front did you also weld those on. are they the same distance apart as the fixed spring hangers. if they are in the correct spot, i would look out the spring pack bolt. as far over as the bottom of the spring looks, it looks like the bolt isn't center of the springs. how did the shackles look before you did the lift, and if they are the stock axles i'm stumped. good luck. 1tuffcj
                              Last edited by 1tuffcj; 10-10-2006, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X