Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket Body Parts ???

Hello,
    Anyone have any experence with Omix-ada steel tubs and parts? How close are they to OEM? From the part numbers I keep seeing every piece comes from them. Anyone have any experence with fiberglass tubs and parts? I have a 78 CJ7 that needs a little love and I'm still undecided which road I want to take. It looks like the steel parts have most of the holes already punched so that may be an easier way to go but I still like the rust free fiberglass. I want to keep the heater and all the other goodies. It looks like they are about the same price after you price everything you need to do the swap. Any troubles or ideas would be a great help. I built race cars for many years and have been a mechanic for 27 years so I sould be able to handle the task but I know everything you do has its own set of problems. Thanks Tom

welcome Tom,

I purchased an Omix-ada tub for my 85 cj-7. I am in the middle of a frame up restoration. I bought it on ebay because it had a dent on the side but it was direct from Omix-ada. I chose the steal tub for its strength and direct fit. I thought about fiberglass but I didn't like all the brackets and grounding electric issues. for the most part the tub is the same as stock what I am planing is adding a few welds here and there to put my own mind at ease the body doesn't come sealed at the welds so you have to seal all the seams. I plan on coating the bottom with por-15 and then top coating it. it doesn't have the raised JEEP on the sides and it has most of the hole pre drilled but there are one or two that still need to be cut no biggie. I just think steal is stronger for the vibration of a rough ride and Strong engine. that is just my opinion. Good Luck

Comment

I put on a 4WDH glass body about 16 years ago it was no different than any other project. The body went smother than the Matkins frame swap 6 years ago. I would put glass bodies on all of my cars the glass body still loks great. It has always been my DD for the 27 years I have had it until last year. 160 mile a day was too much gas for it.

Comment

I know this doesn't exactly go along with this thread, but...
        will a YJ tub fit in the back of a standard pick-up?
        I might have to make a drive, and it would be much easier without a trailer.

Comment

no

No it will not fit inside but you mat be able to put it on the bed rails.

Comment

Working...
          X