X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prothane body mounts

hello all, i must admit that this is the most informative cj forum i have ever found and i do more reading than asking but i have searched and i cant find an answer to my stupid question. i am about to put my new steel body on the frame (80-86) and i have the prothane poly body mounts, i was wondering if i have to add the steel sleeve in the poly mount like in the factory rubber mounts. the poly mounts have like a 1" hole on the inside and the body bolt is like 3/8". do i put the washer on and just crank her down? any help would be grateful and thanks in advance for replies. thanks jeff

use the washers and the inserts. coat the metal parts with grease really good before putting them together. it will keep them from rusting longer.

Comment

Hey mossboys, to the forum's!! I just did a frame off last summer, I think my instructions said to re-use the sleeve from the stock ones. My only problem was I had none! Besides, I couldn't see why, with the 1'' of lift and new bolts, you would need the old-short sleeves. So I didn't use any. I've had no problems so far, had the jeep back on the road since Aug. I put anti-sieze on all the bolts, tighened them until the lower washer was starting to squish. Checked them twice now, and no problems. Hope this helps. Good luck and don't forget to post some pics of your progress in the members rides section!

Comment

I am with you, I was unble to salvage mine. I am still in process or doing a frame off on my 79 CJ7.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
          use the washers and the inserts. coat the metal parts with grease really good before putting them together. it will keep them from rusting longer.
          I never use grease as it's not permanent enough I always use Permatex Anti Seize.

Comment

Originally posted by scr83jp
            I never use grease as it's not permanent enough I always use Permatex Anti Seize.
            I quess it depends. Ive used grease for years on exposed threads were I slip a rubber hose over the exposed parts and anyplace there is metal to metal contact and it's been ther years later. I've had less success on places lile the shackles and used neversieze in those locations.

Lately though I've taken to using alternate material like Stainless steel bolts, nuts and washer. Expensive yes but a time saver several years down the road.

Comment

i actually use stainless anywhere possible and coat it with grease. i've never had a problem yet. anti seize may be your choice though and that's great. the grease has kept everything from squeaking and it also keeps it from rusting.

EDIT: after seeing highlander's post i remembered that i did the same with the large washers to prevent the bolts/nuts from pulling through.
              Last edited by FUBAR; 10-25-2006, 05:55 PM.

Comment

I didnt use the spacers either. I have a 4wd glass body. I used the poly mounts and added a 6x4" 3/16" steel plate above all the mounts and a fender washer on the inside to prevent pull through.

Comment

Working...
                X