Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• might buy an AMC 360, go some questions!

I might be bidding on an AMC 360 out of an 86 waggy. its a remanufactured motor with 12k on it, installed by a pro mechanic, but its been sitting for 3 years. 1 year outside under the hood of the waggy, and 2 years inside a garage out of the waggy. IT HAS NOT BEEN TURNED OVER IN THAT TIME! is this a bad thing? or do yins guys think it will run fine when everything is hooked up?

I just wana drop this thing in the CJ, and not mess with it too much.

This motor also has the smog pump on it, but it looks like one or more of the air tubes is missing... can I just put on an earlier style exhaust manifold that doesnt have the air tube hook ups and eliminate the smog pump?

thanks for all the help!

I am in the process of doing this exact same thing.
    WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
    If it was remanned, it was at least punched .030 over. It has been sitting out and rusting in the cylinders, therefore needing more boring. This will be another .030 over (if that is all it needs). I was darn near needing sleeves in the cylinders. I doubt you are going to just drop this in and crank it. You are going to need to go through this with a fine tooth comb. No oil covering the pieces mean they are going to rust.

Really, I just did this and am installing it now (even now while at JRTC). I had to go a total of .060 over to get all the rust out of the cylinders

Comment

It's probably not a "bad" thing, but I wouldn't say it's a good thing either. If it hasn't been fired, I would not bid much on it. It could be an anchor for all you know. I would make sure that the assembly rolls over fairly easy and go from there. I was told by someone here to never buy an engine that hasn't been fired. I think I would, but I wouldn't spend a ton of cash on it and assume that it will need to be gone over.

High5

Comment

its hard to say. i had an old chevy truck that sat in a barn for 10 years without being fired. started it up and drove it home, changed fluids and it was a dd for ten years. still going strong for the guy that bought it.
        but i got the truck for nothing, and if i were paying for it, i would be a bit weary. like you said it has already had a rebuild. you can get a new 350 gm for about 2k, including intake and motor mnts and carb.

Comment

you can get a decent 360 for $100 to $200. Take it apart yourself, hone it and rebuild it yourself for $300-$400. It will only put you back $600 high end. Get one for $150, and have it remanned with a three year 36,000 mile warranty for $1,300 - $1,400. That is a complete reman. Shipping is only $125 each way (the shop will pay for one way).

Comment

The motor wasnt rebuilt, it was purchased from autozone and dropped in the waggy. I called the guy, and he's gona turn it over by hand with a socket on the crank and get back to me...

As long as it can be turned by hand, Im not gona be too worried, but like yins said, im not putting a high bid on it either...

Thanks for the quick responses

Comment

Originally posted by UPJ Wheeler
              The motor wasnt rebuilt, it was purchased from autozone and dropped in the waggy.
              i thought the engines that you buy from parts stores are remanned, which would mean that it has been bored already. i could be wrong.

Comment

decided not to go with it... too many unknows associated

Comment

A friend of mine bought a autozone rebuild. He drove it for a while then decided to build it. Tore the engine down and the cylinders didn't match some bored some not. That has been about ten years ago, but I would never buy an engine that they had touched.

Comment

Originally posted by RRAUTO
                    A friend of mine bought a autozone rebuild. He drove it for a while then decided to build it. Tore the engine down and the cylinders didn't match some bored some not. That has been about ten years ago, but I would never buy an engine that they had touched.

AutoZone, just like any chain store does not build their own engines, so a blanket statement on the quality of their reman engines is really unfair and misleading.

That being said, you do need to watch out as there are companies that make cheap rebuilds and do crap like mentioned above.

If you do ever contemplate buying a reman, here are a few tips:

1. Never buy an engine that comes from their "new supplier." This is the parts guy's way of saying "I really know nothing about these guys, but corporate has told me to sell these things"

2. The warranty is always covered by the manufacturer, not by the store itself, they are only a facilitator in the process.

3. Explain the situation to the guy on the other side of the counter. Let him know that if you ever have a problem, he will hear about it and you will expect him to help you out. This may seem to contradict item 2, but not really. All it does is explain to the guy that he is both companies' mouthpiece in this transaction, and he had better know his stuff.

3. Never deal with the newbie or the senior store manager, neither one of these guys can help you. The newbie doesn't know what is going on and the manager only sees the upcoming sale and the $$ in his bonus check. My recommendation is the junior assistant manager or the salty old counter jockey.

4. When you think you have found a company that is reputable and reasonable priced, have the counterman call them up on speaker phone and have a chat with them about options and warranty. It is amazing how fast you opinion of a company may change after talking to them on the phone.

There are more, but this is already borderline for this post and quite long.

Comment

Working...
                    X