X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tub Swap Choices?

Finally ready to think about the YJ tub swap. Would like advice/horror stories about a few issues and ideas first.
    1. Gas tank- like to keep the CJ set-up, use maybe replacement corners, cover 'em up with them poison spyder doodads.
    2. Tailgate- also like to keep the CJ style- is it worth the hassle or not?
    3. Exactly how hard is it to do the defroster duct thing that I've heard is a pain in the arse?
    Any help is appreciated.

I prefer the 4wd Hardware glass tub my self. They don't have rust issues, they are warmer in the winter and they take a serious beating. Mine is a 80's version, and it's still in good shape.
    AS for your questions. Sounds like yoru on the right track. I'd run the PSC crusher corners and put the fuel filler on the "correct" side too. As for the tail gate I'd keep the YJ one, less headaches. but if you do that make sure you order the crusher corners for the correct gate, and tell them what side your going to put the fuel filler on. The defroster isn't a big deal.

Comment

I would love to go with the glass from 4wd. Trying to do this on an almost non-existing budget though. Let me go check to see if there's like 3 grand just lying around....

Comment

Just got done with my swap

I just completed my tub swap. I dropped the Jeep off today for inspection amd a few final tune-ups that I couldn't figure out or didn't have time to do since its dark at 5pm now.
        1. The tank filler switch was easy. I traced the hole from the drivers side and drew it on the pass side. I used a dremel with a cutting wheel(s) to cut it out. I fine tuned the hole until the filler thing fit in nicely. I was told a TJ license plate holder fits over the YJ tank filler hole, but I just used the original CJ plate holder that hangs under the drivers turn signal and the hole is coverd up about 95%. Its fine for the time being.
        2. My YJ tub didn't come with a tailgate so my choice was easy. I drilled out the final torx bolt that the PO couldn't get out. I held up my CJ tailgate, traced the bolt holes with a sharpie and then drilled them out. I cut the rectanglar backing plates from the CJ tub with my dremel wheels. I slid the plate up through a hole under the back lip just below where the tailgate hinges needed to be. I dropped one so I had to cut the hole a little bigger but the other one worked fine. The holes are up underneath so you can not see them from the back at all unless you are lying on the ground. With the plates, you don't need to get a wrench or anything to hold the nuts. The CJ tailgate latches hook onto thte YJ tub but the gate doesn't close as tight as it should. The hardtop keeps it closed the rest of the way for the winter.
        3. The defroster was easy. I saw where the holes needed to be on the top edge of the tub. I drilled a hole at the end of where each oval needed to be and then used a jig saw to cut out the ovals. It doesn't have to be pretty because it is covered by the windshield. The defroster duct fits nice and tight to the dash with few screws and you're done.

Sorry for running on and on. Where are you located? if close by, you're welcome to come see mine when I get it back from the Jeep Shop. I am located in Lansdale, PA. I hoped I helped!
        Mark

Comment

I've got an 80 CJ w/YJ tub!!!

I've got the same thing, and ya hit the nail on the head. Most everything else swaps easy.. Ie: gauges, dash panel, heater box, list goes on and on. I used YJ steering column just to have the wiper switch and dimmer switch in the column. And left the tail gate, cause its easier to do something with the spare tire. If your windshield is in good shape, it'll swap out too! Good luck HMR-RSQ

Comment

Sounds like I'm gonna take a road trip this weekend. I read somewhere that I guy fabbed the new rear body mounts from like a piece of 3x5 rectangular tubing, cut on the bias. Is that too big, or do you need that much room for error?

Comment

body mount moves

I forgot to mention the body mount issue. The body mounts that required moving were easy. The CJ mounts in front of the rear wheel do not line up where the YJ bushing lined up. The CJ mount is located under a channel with a hole right where the bolt needs to be so you can put a wrench in the channel to hold a nut and it works great. Lots of people do it like that. The two in the rear bumper/cross member were fairly easy. I just cut the hole out a little bit bigger moving it towards the outside and the bushings fit right in.
              Mark

Comment

As far as the gas tank is concerned- is a YJ tank an option, or is it too wide?

Comment

I'd measure first!

Originally posted by 84MSRB
                  As far as the gas tank is concerned- is a YJ tank an option, or is it too wide?

I think that YJ tank is wider!!! Good luck HMR-RSQ

Comment

Trailer acquisition problems have delayed the trip until next weekend.
                    Here's an off the wall question- is it better to get the transplant tub all ready, including paint, before it gets bolted on? Or is the attachment so crazy it's gonna get all scratched up in the process?

Comment

Working...
                    X