X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What engines were offered in the CJ5&CJ7's

So Im a TJ guy. My buddy is looking for a weekend wheeler project. He wants an 8 cylinder....i know i know I keep tellin him the 6 is more then enough.....but hes dead set. To my question.......we see lots of jeeps that are swapped......327 small block chevy's.....350's.....etc. My question is we seem to see alot of 304's.....is this a stock AMC engine that was offered or is this a swapped in ford engine? I know some came with 360 AMC's.....not so sure about the 304's. Figured Id ask the experts!

304's are it. The 360 is a waggy swap.

Comment

I think 81 was the last year they put a V-8 in the CJ. And the only one that came from factory was the 304.
      Like Gnarly said the 360 is a nice swap. So much so I do not have a 304 in a CJ. I gave one away and the other was sitting out side for the longest time.
      But if your looking for a jeep just get one with a I-6 and find a replacement engine as your likely to pay more for one with a V-8. Save the coin to spend on other things.

Comment

Aaaawwwwww comeon !!! ya want a project rig? Go find ya a REEL Vee Ate Jeep.......all the stuff's there and ya don'y need any crazy adapters.....spend that cash on good portant stuff...headers, four barrels carb, a new bump stick...make it loud and PROUD...prob better put back a lil cash fer bondo too..them old good ones got some road rot...fer ser.....Good Luck Jeeper !

Comment

1972-1981 CJ's came with 304's only. This engine was also used in AMC cars
          1972-1990 J-Series/Wagoneers/Cherokees had 304's & 360's so did AMC cars

V8 CJ's are plentifull thru 1979 but are pretty hard to find after that.I've seen 2-3 orig 1980 V8 CJ's but never a 1981 which was last year they were available.
          Most of this is all insurance deal. Funny how 1981 was last V8 year and 1982 was first year for widetrack. Heck its a wonder they continued to make open top Jeeps after all the bad rap in the 70's and 80's
          Bad thing is the early CJ are pretty non existant due to rust.
          Last edited by woody; 11-15-2006, 09:59 AM.

Comment

CA has lots of early jeeps still running one of my friends has an early 1940's that he still off roads.
            Last edited by scr83jp; 11-15-2006, 12:31 PM.

Comment

The biggest "factory" V-8 in the CJ's was the 304.Some dealers would order the 304 CJ's,then swap in a 360 and sell them as a dealer installed option.

ragg

Comment

Originally posted by raggmann
                The biggest "factory" V-8 in the CJ's was the 304.Some dealers would order the 304 CJ's,then swap in a 360 and sell them as a dealer installed option.

ragg

That is what the dealers over here were doing.

Comment

Working...
                X