X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer as a top coat..

Ah yesterday... I always loved the look of a '51 merc, chopped, channeled, nosed, decked, fender skirts, lowered and pipes and, most of all, wearing a coat of grey primer.

No, I'm not going to channel the jeep, but I need to paint it, is there a gray primer that will go over painted and non painted, metal and fiberglass surfaces and still act as a water proof top coat.

Maybe I''m asking for too much but is there such a thing?

Thanks

look for a good quality urathane primer. I would not use it as a permanent top coat, but it will last longer than those old laquer jobs of days gone by.

Comment

Epoxy primer will be waterproof, but not hold up to the UV's.

If you like the look of primer, get a colormatch and use a flat clearcoat.

Comment

I agree with KCK, you can add flatteing agents into clear and when they dry it looks completely flat. You can do the same with an enamel paint if you only want to shoot a 1 stage.

Comment

Don't forget some of the newer primers are not water proof and you could have a mess.
          You might want to use something like POR-15 top coat. I have no idea what color it is though. Give me a few more days and I will know.

Comment

I would just go and talk to your paint supplier. If the guy knows his stuff he will be able to help you out quickly.

Comment

Working...
            X