X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ and CJ gears

OK, so I checked part numbers on the carrier assembly (open) for the YJ TJ and CJ D30 front axle and they all take the same number. The ring and pinion sets however all have different part numbers for the same ratio. What is the difference? Is it something in the kit (seals, bearings etc.) or are the ring and pinion sets actually different?

Just FYI, I've seen used YJ gearsets in the ratio I want on that nasty extortion err auction site, but I never have seen a CJ gearset.

YJ gears are reverse rotation due to the drivers side diff. They will not work in a CJ dana 30.

Comment

Thanks, I'll have to check that out the next time I get a close look at a YJ...I thought the pinion was on the same side of the ring gear, but I don't often look at YJs.

Comment

Originally posted by MotorHead
        YJ gears are reverse rotation due to the drivers side diff. They will not work in a CJ dana 30.

REALLY, how then does the front spin backwards while the rear moves forward??? and its not because they are on the drivers side its because it is a HP axle instead of a LP axle....

*EDIT* HP gearsets will not fit into LP cases and vise versa...
        Last edited by Mud_slinga; 11-20-2006, 11:09 PM.

Comment

You lookin to swap gears? What ya got that you don't want? What do ya want? I'm about to go spin my axle to see what I have fo sho, but I think I have 4.11's and I want (lookin) to trade!!!

Comment

I want to go for at least 4.10 or lower. I have 3.54 right now and it just isn't going to cut it. Unfortunately my swap will be quite a ways out (like when the wife says OK, so it may be years! ) I have to finish the motor swap before anything else.

I just saw a couple of used YJ sets on the bay for cheap and got to thinking...Thinking always gets me in trouble.

So have we figured out the difference for sure?

Anyone have a YJ axle and can tell us what side the pinion is on (left or right side of the ring gear as looking from the front of the jeep)?

I almost think they have to be on the same side of the ring gear because if it was on the other side, then the T-case would have to turn backward!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mud_slinga
              REALLY, how then does the front spin backwards while the rear moves forward??? and its not because they are on the drivers side its because it is a HP axle instead of a LP axle....

*EDIT* HP gearsets will not fit into LP cases and vise versa...
              Keep Googleing! How do they make the YJ Dana 30 High Pinion?

Here is a pic of a YJ Dana 30 Revese Cut Axle.
              http://www.jeeptech.com/axle/d30yj.jpg

The TJ's use a normal cut Dana 30 like the CJ's, but again the gears are not interchangable.

Comment

Originally posted by MotorHead
                Keep Googleing! How do they make the YJ Dana 30 High Pinion?

Here is a pic of a YJ Dana 30 Revese Cut Axle.
                http://www.jeeptech.com/axle/d30yj.jpg

The TJ's use a normal cut Dana 30 like the CJ's, but again the gears are not interchangable.

Well, I'm no axle expert, but from the picture I can see that it is a high pinion axle ( the CJ version has the pinion on the very bottom of the case) and the pinion is on the same side of the ring gear as a CJ. I did not realize that the YJ used a high pinion front axle. I may have to see if I can pick up a YJ axle and retube it

Comment

HP - [High Pinion] the pinion is ABOVE the axle centerline. Stronger in front applications
                  LP - [Low Pinion] the pinion is BELOW the axle centerline. Stronger in rear applications
                  I think some xj's had solid tubes and was hp, could be way off on that but I think I recall seeing a hp one before...retubing aint worth the hassle....
                  Last edited by Mud_slinga; 11-23-2006, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mud_slinga
                    ...retubing aint worth the hassle....

I may still pursue it to some extent. What I really want to do is install something similar to the super 30 kit with the ARB and the D44 shafts. This will give me all the necessary strength of the D44 without the added unsprung weight and loss of clearance that the D44 gives. If I re-tube them myself (seen a # of articles about this and it seems to be doable for a well equipped home shop) I can use a heavy duty tube and eliminate the vacuum disconnect all in one swoop.

Comment

Working...
                    X