X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer has a mind of its own

Ok, here is one that has me puzzled. At first I though I was loosing my mind.
    I would on occasion find my jeep in 4wd. With the weather like it is and me being in places that I would use my 4wd often I though I was just forgetting to shift back to 2wd. Then I was watching carefully and I noticed that I was driving down the highyway in 4wd. I know for a fact I didn't shift into 4wd.
    It has now done this several times, much to my anger as you cannot stop and back up on a highway. I have not been able to determine what causes it to shift on its own.
    Has anyone else had a problem like this?
    I would like to know if something major was wrong because I am going to be switching my engine and tranny I might as well drop the transfer with it if this one is a problem. I have three others and I have never had this happen.

Hey Penguin, I'm sure you have a CJ but can't remember if it is 70's or 80's as in D20 or D300 t-case. This is usually a D20 problem so I'll start there. I have found that 3 rod triangle plate affair to get worn on the rod ends and the plate holes and will kind of go between gears but not disengage fully and I've ven seen it stay in the correct 2WD detent and still be in 4WD.

Comment

If you have a dana 20. It is the linkage. I had the same problem and it wouldn't go into 4low. I would have to slam it in. I converted to a twin stick. It's the cat's behind. Let me know if you want the info.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have a 300. It is going into 2wd(I thought this might be my problem before I assumed I was going nuts), I checked it by spinning the tires on the ice in my parents driveway. So I know I was in 2. But later on the highway I noticed that I was in 4wd. It was a pain because once you go into 4 with a 300 on dry pavement you are not going into 2 without backing up.
        I am not really worried about it as like I said I have three others I can put under it. But...I would like to fix it now if it is a small problem. Or plan on replacing that also.

Comment

mine goes into 4hi fine but does not like to come out of 4 hi and doesn't like to go into 4low either. Looking into buying a twin stick after christmas.

Comment

drive shaft spinning at speed or just a little bit?

A lot of times even in 2wd your front driveshaft can spin a little bit.

Comment

probably just the detent balls, or the grooves they sit in are wore out. my 300 is extremly easy to get into and out of all gears without moving my jeep at all. must just be a wore out thing.
              clay

Comment

I don't have any advice for you about your problem. I have a similar problem were it's hard to shift my 300 out of 4wd in to 2wd is that because you have to back up? It doens't happen all the time but when it does i'll have to try backing up. I also have a 78 that i bought and really didn't check out the driveline or anything but it would sometimes shift into 4wd and believe it or not when i torn the jeep down i found out that i didn't have a transfer case cross member and the only thing holding the backend of the motor, trans, and transfer was the exhaust. So what happened was the shifter would hit the tub going over bumps and shift itself. But I'm sure that mine was a very rare case i'm just surprised that i drove it around for 6 months without destroying anything.

Comment

Mike-
                  Don't feel bad...if you actually look at the original owner's manuals for CJs, it talks about the fact that sometimes it is hard to get in and out of 4WD/2WD and vice versa...it spaeks of backing up and doing unnatural acts to get it to work. Hell, if the manual says things like that, its normal..and mine has a ming of its own. Sometimes a pinkie on the Tcase lever, and sometimes my foot.

Comment

The only time you should have to back up with the 300 is when you are on dry pavement(according to the FSM). If you really are getting good traction on hardpack you might have to back up.
                    I have never had to back up a dana 20.

Comment

yea I'm not sure if its a worn out thing or not but I can always put mine in with my pinky but most of the time it comes out a little difficult and once in awhile I am about ready to get out the BFH then just before I do it come out LOL I think its just my sweet talking I do to it at those times LOL.

Comment

Working...
                      X