X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD Player **** unit

Ok, so this isn't really CJ specific, but it is going in my CJ. My CJ still has it's original AM/FM radio in working condition, but I'm tired of using my portable CD player and a FM modulator in order to listen to CD's. Can a CD player **** unit be mounted vertically? I want to mount it on the front of my console, seeing as how I do not want to cut up my dash and I do not have enough money right now to spend on the over**** console I'm wanting...

Personally I would see if you could mount it in the center console. If you have one. When the Scrambler is getting done, that is what I am doing. Or you could make a mount to hang it under the dash.

Comment

If you're worried about authenticity, get the center locking console. CD's will eject straight up, so you would think they will play that way as well. If convenience is key, it only takes ten minutes with a jigsaw to fit it into the dash- but it does fit kinda tight with the defroster ductwork.
      Anybody else have any trouble posting on Internet Explorer?

Comment

Not sure how posting is on IE, I am using Netscape Navigator and it works pretty well.

Comment

I had mine in center console. fyi: Ford f250 install kit fits the el' cheapo center console where the cup holder goes.

things to look out for:
          vertical mounts means that moisture (like rain) is gonna go straight into it.
          Also above 60* a cd player skips alot more often, unless you have an extremely fancy cd player that lets you choose mounting orientation.

Comment

I currently have a generic-o wally world cd mp3 player mounted in a generic-o walmart style console. It works great. the cd player is mounted at about 70° or slightly and it only skips on serious bumps, everything plays great. Cost me a whopping total of $115 for the whole set up..plus a little scrap vinyl and metal i used to clean it up a stitch...

I looked at an in dash install, and the space is tight, ive seen some in there so they must fit with a little cutting/ modification...I thought the cd player was too far away for my taste, thats why i went in console.

I left the stock stereo in the dash cuz it looks oohh so pretty, and maybe..just maybe a would be thief will pass it by seeing the stock deck... :lol:

Comment

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm not worried about authenticity at all. I used to have a CB radio mounted on the front of the console. (The console is the factory one) I'm not worried about rain b/c I have a hard top that never comes off (I know, I'm not a true Jeeper. lol) I also plan on leaving the stock stereo in the dash. I am worried about skipping, since I still have my super-stiff stock suspension.

Comment

Jeep=skipping. That's life. This is only a problem if you really feel it necessary to blast "The Valkyries"(or whatever that song is in Apocolypse Now) while you're wheeling through the woods. I know the console that's made for a stereo unit is expensive, but I bet you can fit one into one of the other models... although I've never tried. But it needs to be lockable- although you insist on keeping that hard top on .

Comment

If you mount the unit in a vertical position it will be more likely to skip. Most units are designed to be mounted in a horizontal or only slightly tilted position. I have the center tuffy box with the mounting area for the stereo. I could not mount mine in there b/c of the way the face opens to put in CD's. So I just cut out the factory hole a little bit. I have not had a problem with skipping. It is a tight squeeze and I don't even have the defrost duct work in.

Comment

Working...
                  X