X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer Case Lowering Kit

Ok, Hopefully this will reach the same old experts I have relied on for so long. But anyone with help would be appreciated.
    I am looking at some different suspension lifts for my CJ5, and am decided what height and what brand,...yahdy yahdy yah. What is a transfer case lowering kit (other than the obvious) and how does it work. If you have a picture of one installed that would be great too.

It is a set of spacers that go between the t-case skid, and the frame. It changes the pinion angle(sort of). It is used when you have steep driveshaft angles and need to relax them a bit. I don't have a pic right now of the one on my YJ(it is basically the same) but when I have one I will post it. The good part, it can cure some drive shaft vibes. The bad part, it can cost some ground clearance.

Comment

Mine is spaced down 5/8". Easy to make if you have a cut off saw and drill press. As said above the spacers go between the frame and skid plate with the bolts (3 on each side) through the hole 1"x1"squares with a hole in the middle will work. DP

Comment

I used a pc of alum. bar cut bent to fit the frame
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...1/f9c7fcb9.jpg

Comment

Ok, that makes alot more sense now. So how much lift do you have? At what point does it help, or at what point is it needed? I am looking at 2.5-3 in suspension lift, probably close to 1/2 in from the new shackles, and a 1 in body lift.

Thanks for the quick replies and the pics.

Comment

I have the same lift as you are talking about 3" and 1" body lift. The spacers are 5/8 no problems with u joints and no vibration. DP

Comment

i also have a 4"SL with a 1"BL. no problems. you can also use cv's if you don't want the tcase drop.

Comment

I didn't have one on the Cj when I got it. So just used 2 pieces of super strut
                which gave about the same drop as the kit and very strong

Comment

Working...
                X