X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windshield gasket

Anybody change their windshield gasket, and was it a fiberglass frame ?
    Any help on making it easy would be helpful, even if it's not a fiberglass frame.

Thanks,

Skip

I've done it before Skip. Not hard at all. If ya need a hand get ahold of me.

Comment

if it's fiberglass it will be helpful to have a dremel or something to grind the windshield with if it's never had glass in it before. other than that a twine or kite string with soap on it is all you'll need. also helps if the gasket is not cold. i used a heat gun.

Comment

You will want to have a glass sealer for putting it back on. You need a silicone sealer in place between the gasket and the windsheild frame(it will leak like a river).

Comment

post topic

ok guy's, thanks for all the help. the glass company is coming tomorrow.
          had it in most of the way, just gave it a little push to set it in the frame
          and CRACK. :toilet_cl

Skip

Comment

I am sorry I was too slow to post. I had asked the same question 6 months ago and crack!! It was not as easy as it was made out to be and it cost me a windshield. I watched the pros do it and there is actually a bit to it...sorry for your loss!

Comment

windshield gasket

The saga goes on. The glass guy came and said I need to have the glass shaved to fit a fiberglass frame!!! (I was at work) so I beat it to 4wd hdw to get a new steel frame, to put in tonight and hopefully get the glass put in tomorrow. A $20.00 seal is going to cost me almost $400.00

Skip

Comment

Sorry to hear about your luck, it sounds a lot like mine. I want to change my glass and I know now, I will pay someone!

Comment

post topic

the glass guy said the glass doesn't fit fiberglass frames.
                  now I have to fight the hinge bolts into the frame. they don't line up very well. all this for a water leak at the seal.

Comment

Originally posted by rfvjr
                    the glass guy said the glass doesn't fit fiberglass frames.
                    now I have to fight the hinge bolts into the frame. they don't line up very well. all this for a water leak at the seal.
                    :headscrat After being a glass guy for the past three years this is news to me...but then again I can't account for those installers that aren't Jeep guys at heart.

I usually don't give suggestions on threads such as this simply because it's totally a 50/50 on crack or no crack...even for glass guys sometimes. Usually you're better off letting someone that has the tools and know how do the job.

Ultimately if you do do this on your own stay away from string or twine...it's too small and cuts your gasket too easily...3/16" cotton rope is my preferred tool...big enough that it rolls the gasket nicely onto the pinchweld and doesn't damage the rubber in the process. Also you don't really need to use a silicone sealant on it...just a wet silicone spray is enough to slick up the rubber and the rope while giving some water repellant...As a glass guy there's nothing worse than finding silicone in places it should be like a rubber windshield gasket

Matt

Comment

While we have a glass expert on-board I might as well ask this. My glass is currently out of my windshield ready for painting. Many years ago I managed to run the wipers with damaged blades and it scratched my windshield. Now that my glass is out can I get it polished?? I'll be tackling the glass/seal issue in a few weeks after painting.

Comment

if it makes you feel any better, I did the same exact thing. Not a good job to learn on your own and without the right tools, but hey, we both have new glass now!!

TD

Comment

post topic

ok it goes on.
                          after I bought a NEW METAL windshield frame and slapped it on my jeep on thurs,called the glass company for a friday install. friday comes and no glass guy, I call and they say no one scheduled the app., I have to wait till monday!!! I told them to be here early my wife can't wait around all day again
                          (3rd time) he comes at nine by 10:30 I called and he was fighting it still. help was coming. I get a call at 2:00 that the glass won't fit my windshield frame!!
                          it's out of square a 1/4 inch, it's brand new never dropped as far as I know or can tell. I have to have the glass shaved ( see previous post )
                          but they can shave it and install it. why didn't they say that last week!!!!!
                          so now they take my frame to their shop shave the glass and put it in.
                          anybody (glass guys included) heard anything like this?? they didn't charge me to remove the frame and shave and install the glass, I think only because I freaked on them last week when noone showed on fri.

just venting

Skip

Comment

I have never heard of that and i have replaced my windshield frame several times with both steel and fiberglass. the glass one's i did have to sand down the mounting areas but that and some waxed string i have never cracked a windshield yet other than those damn rocks and trees on some way off camber stuff

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by oldjeeper
                              While we have a glass expert on-board I might as well ask this. My glass is currently out of my windshield ready for painting. Many years ago I managed to run the wipers with damaged blades and it scratched my windshield. Now that my glass is out can I get it polished?? I'll be tackling the glass/seal issue in a few weeks after painting.
                              Hate to say it but it's time for a new windshield...there are companies that will polish it, but depending on the make of the windshield it may not even be worth it due to possible distortions already in it...Even if the windshield is 100% polishing will give you some funky distortions and make you feel like you're sea sick when driving with them...but then some guys like this

Originally posted by rfvjr
                              ok it goes on.
                              after I bought a NEW METAL windshield frame and slapped it on my jeep on thurs,called the glass company for a friday install. friday comes and no glass guy, I call and they say no one scheduled the app., I have to wait till monday!!! I told them to be here early my wife can't wait around all day again
                              (3rd time) he comes at nine by 10:30 I called and he was fighting it still. help was coming. I get a call at 2:00 that the glass won't fit my windshield frame!!
                              it's out of square a 1/4 inch, it's brand new never dropped as far as I know or can tell. I have to have the glass shaved ( see previous post )
                              but they can shave it and install it. why didn't they say that last week!!!!!
                              so now they take my frame to their shop shave the glass and put it in.
                              anybody (glass guys included) heard anything like this?? they didn't charge me to remove the frame and shave and install the glass, I think only because I freaked on them last week when noone showed on fri.

just venting

Skip
                              Hate to say it again...but you've been screwed...If they still couldn't get the glass in, it's their glass that's the problem...Chances are they are trying to use the wrong windshield in your correct windshield frame...I've seen it a hundred times. Shop stocks 1 jeep windshield...figures it's close enough for all and it's not...Can I ask what shop? was it a national chain? if you want you can pm me with that info...I understand if you don't want to stir the **** too much.

Sorry to hear that they gave you such a hard time...I have never had a problem with ANY Jeep window...The days when any jeep rolled into my shop was a great day...and any CJ was just icing on the cake

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X