X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NV3550 Problems

I have a 2000 TJ with a NV3550 that had the infamously bad shifting that got worse - grinding from 1st through 4 th shifts - emptied the fluid and found this part on the magnetic plug and some metal shavings.
    Does anyone have any idea what this thing is or what it does?
    I looked for a rebuild manual/kit and couldn't find one - anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks
    Ryan

are you running the correct recommened fluid in it??? I started to run symchromesh and I have no grinding in mine anymore

Comment

Oltman(Jerry) could probably tell ya what that is just by feeling of it. Try PMing him if he doesn't post up soon.

Comment

It is called a "poppet plug". There should be a spring around that holds it in the transfer case. What I think you or someome did was drain the oil from the transfer case from the wrong plug. Before things get any worse; and believe me "for sure now it will"; get it to a quality 5 Star dealership immediatley and get it attended to. It's not going to be cheap and good luck.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.
          This is the first time I changed the Transmission fluid. I'd like to drive the Jeep w/out causing further damage. I'm not going to a stealership - i can get a rebuilt NV3550 for $700 but would like to use this if at all possible.
          I have redline MTL fluid and DC fluid - i don't want to add $30 worth of fluid and have to get a rebuild anyway.

thanks,
          Ryan

Comment

Isn't it still covered by the 7/70 warranty?
            If so, let the dealer handle it.
            Also, check that your slave cyl has fluid. Maybe the clutch isn't releasing all the way.

Comment

Having done what Olt Man said before that doesn't look like the detente poppet at all to me. The poppet isn't solid and isn't notched on the bottom like your picture shows. After looking through my FSM it almost looks like a broken shift shaft (not a shift fork). Here is what the poppet looks like:

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery2...2/100_5206.jpg

Comment

Good idea with the warranty - hopefully they offered the 7/70 in 2000, i thought they started that only a few yrs ago - but i'll definetly check.

The notch shown in the pic looks like where the pin sheared off-not normal.

Can someone make me a copy of their factory manual on CD - I'd be happy to send you some money - i'm still waiting on mine from some *** on ebay.

thanks,
                ryan

Comment

Working...
                X