X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mile Marker vs. Warn?

hope that everyone is doing good this week, I am in the market for a winch, and im torn between MM & Warn. I know that Warn makes a good product but they are very "pricey" and your really paying for the name, MM looks like a good winch but dont know too much about them . i have researched a little on them. does anyone have anything to say about the comparison? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stuck

First off Welcome to the forum, and the search can be your friend!

I don't have any experience with either winch but they have both been discussed on here many times. I just did a quick search and found this thread that was posted recently. Good luck with your winch purchase!
    Last edited by dj_jeepin; 03-13-2008, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Here is another one:

Warn m8000 vs mile marker se9500

Comment

Mile Marker vs. Warn

dj, thanks for the direction, its greatly appreciated, i just dont know which one to go with, usually i dont half a_ _ anything and get the more expensive and popular product but for the price ya know MM really does look the part!!! so im just kinda stuck, hearing both sides about both of them.... but i checked out the thread that you sent me, and its kinda 50 50 but i will fig something out i guess, thanks though

Stuck

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
          usually i dont half a_ _ anything
          I'm the same way, I like to do as much research as I can before I do something.

I guess every product has it's good and bad points, you just have to weigh them out and see what works best for you.

Comment

DJ, yeah thats true, you know the funny thing is! god i cant believe that im going to say this, but i have had that jeep for 2 1/2 yrs and i get it detailed once a week! it has not seen MUD yet!! i know i know, whats the point right? but i want to get everything on it first then join a club or something ya know! its just to pretty to get muddy! lol, but i love my jeep and when i do finally get it muddy i want to have everything i need to do so. ok you can stop laughing now its not funny anymore!!!! later Stuck

Comment

its simple either go with the best or go with the cheapest!

if you buy the warn you'll have spent a ton of money but look what you get with it... best customer support in the industry, quick delivery of replacement parts (i get mine next day), high quality, and the ease of mind knowing that if you get stuck it will be there for you.

buy a cheapie (off brand) youll save a ton of money. if you never use it, it gets stolen, or it only gets you home a hand full of times, at least you got home and you wont feel bad about spending too much money.

buy the mile marker... not a bad winch, cost less than a warn, but.. if you never use it you'll wish you bought a cheapie. if you use the heck out of it (like me) you'll quickly wish that you had bought a warn.

no sense in playin the middle.
              my winch gets used alot. probably more than anyone on this board. with the adopt-a-trail program theres many times that ive winched over 10 times in 1 day to move 2ft wide by 40 ft long fallen trees. our entire club runs warn and theres a reason for that. ive had to rebuild mine before and the customer service was great each time i called.
              hope this helps

Comment

Jeep LT 1, thx for the advice, im sure that i will use it at somepoint but i jsut dont think im going to be using it like most people would use one on this forum ya know! i want something good but at the same time i dont want to spend the money on something i will use a few times a year! but not scared to spend the money, what have you heard about MM? anything bad besides being slow? thx buddy!!!

Stuck

Comment

Warn

You get what you pay for. Not trying to say anything bad about the MileMarker, but the Warn is far superior. The line speed is faster with the Warn and dependability is also there. There are a few guys in our club that have the MileMarker and like them. They aren't bad, just no comparison to the Warn in my opinion. I have been pulled out by both BTW!!!!

Comment

lilboy, thanks for the response, i just cant make up my mind! money is really no object but do i want to spend that much or not? that is really the question i guess, between the 2 that i was looking at the Warn is only 275 more than what i was going to get the MM for anyway! thanks though

Stuck

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                      i want to get everything on it first then join a club or something later

If you Join a club first or something like you said then you will be able to see what other people have to help you make your descisions. Like with the winches, you will be able to actually see how they work and get a better idea of what you want.

Comment

Well i bought a Warn why because when we got 5 rigs stuck in my yard only one guy had a winch and it was a milemarker. It wouldn't work at all! So when i went out and bought a winch i went with warn. When i'm stuck and i want out i want the knowledge to know that my winch is going to work. I've never had my Warn fail me yet. I guess when the only experience you have with a winch is a bad one it really turns you off.

Comment

I got a Warn 9.5Ti and love it - but I really almost got the Warn Power Plant - the one with the compressor built in then you've got on board air and I know everyone needs air sometime or the other! Reason why I didn't is because when I was in the market for a winch the Power Plant just came out and I hadn't seen one or new of anybody who had one - anyway - like it was mentioned above, if you join a club now you can see different kinds of equipment and brands which might help you out making a decision! Also you might think about synthetic rope for your new winch - I know I really like it!! -Just My 02 worth.

Comment

There are several features that make the Warn far superior to the MM.

First, the Warn uses a series wound motor, where MM uses a permanent magnet motor. Not only is the series wound faster, but takes abuse alot better. Pretty much, if you overheat the permanent magnet motor, it's toast.

I personally run a Warn. I have friends with Warn, MM's & Ramseys, etc. The biggest difference while pulling is the line speed. I know alot of people say they can put up with the slower line speed, but how long do you want to put such a hard load on your charging system? If you have a heavy pull, and it takes you 4 or 5 times as long with the cheaper winch, that could easily be the difference between driving home or limping out with a toasted alternator.

As for the Mile Marker...I wouldn't buy one. If going the discount route, I'd get the Smittybuilt. It's built in the same factory as the milemarker & uses 95% of the same parts, right down to the controller. However, it uses one very superior piece. The free spool / line in selector on the Smittybuilt is the style like the Warn, where the MM uses the Ramsey style, plastic selector (I really don't like that piece). I've not been able to confirm this or not, but I've seen a discussion on pirate4x4 (I can't find the thread now) where they were looking into the possibilty of putting a Warn, series wound motor into a Smittybuilt winch. They were talking like you could pick up the motor for under $100. Like I mentioned, it'd take some research, but if possible, and if you could get the XRC8 on sale (seen 'em go for under $300), it'd make for a very interesting winch.

Comment

Warn is made in USA, not China, if that matters to you. Given the choice, I prefer to not give money to communist countries with missles targeted at me. I'm funny that way. And it's a better winch by all accounts. Seems like a no-brainer to me, especially if you aren't financially forced to settle for second best (and I have a feeling MM wouldn't rank that high).

Comment

Working...
                              X