X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glass bodies and hard tops

i'm looking into buying a glass tub for my '85 CJ7 and i've noticed some tubs say they will not accept a hard top.
    is this true on all of them??
    if anyone here knows you could save me a lot of e mail time

My 4wd glass body works with an earlier model hardtop but I think it is an older tub. It wouldn't work with a newer style top. The other body I have(I think it is an AJ's) will work with a newer style top but not an older style.
    Now I am sure you are asking, I didn't think they made two different tops. They did the pre 81 (I think) had a rib on the tub that the top covered over. The later style has just a flat surface that the top sits on. If you want pictures I could probably get some for you.

Comment

but if it's anchored and has camper shell tape under it would it work anyways?

Comment

I haven't tried it but I think the air gap might cause problems with water following the cracks in. There would be quite a bit of air in there. I guess
        I could try it this summer when it gets warmer out and I am working on both jeeps.

Comment

well i'm not sure but i assume because the jeep's an '85 its the newer style but that still leaves me guessing wich tub to go with
          at least i know its possible tho.
          i wasnt willing to give up y hard top to go glass

Comment

now that i've looked there is a slight lip around the tub , its basically a coninuation of the indent for the door is that what you mean by the older style??
            anyway my email is boke69@aol i'd apreciate those pix if youve got them
            all the info i get will be helpful
            THANKS

Comment

Are you sure your top is the original? If it is and your top is the correct year, on the hardtop, look where you bolt it to the body. It should be flat with just a small lip downward that follows the body line.
              The older style tubs had a very prominent hump and the tops would sit on that.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ne/Oldbody.jpg

The new body style
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ne/newbody.jpg

And FUBAR, I think you might be able to adapt a older top to a newer body. But I don't know if cutting the extra part off would weaken the strength of the top. I wouldn't want to find out when I am traveling down the highway that I just went back to being topless.

Comment

thanks lost-one those pix remove all doubt definately a new top.
                so the final concensus is: new top will work with new tub unless the manufacturer says no
                so the obvious next question is what is everyone's favorite glass tub manufacturer

Comment

Originally posted by the boston strangler
                  thanks lost-one those pix remove all doubt definately a new top.
                  so the final concensus is: new top will work with new tub unless the manufacturer says no
                  so the obvious next question is what is everyone's favorite glass tub manufacturer
                  So far I have had better luck with my 4wd body than the AJ's I have. I can't find parts to put things in like doors.
                  Plus the 4wd just feels more solid.

Comment

Working...
                  X