X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 304 or 360?

Hey guys I bought a 74 CJ-5 and I can't tell if its a 304 or 360. The vin is J4F835TH30866. The guy I bought it off of sayed it was the original V6 it came with but took 8 plugs. Did they even make V6's back then? I really don't think I can get any accurate info from him.

Anyway no ID numbers on motor at least any I could find. I can't really see a differance in the 360 and the 304.

They made a 225 V6 before that.
    But if you found a place for 8 plugs It anit a 6
    kidding
    any way most of the outside parts can be used on the 304 on up.
    the block I belive is the same just a boar differance hence more ci.
    I will go through the pictures I took during the redo on my 304 and see if there is somoething that can help.

Comment

Should be a 304, 360's only came in fullsized jeep trucks and such. No exterior differences though.

Comment

On the block you will find the numbers stamped in it. 304 or 360. I can't remember where but look on the side of the block, it is there, you might have to be on a roller looking up.
        360 never came in CJ's. The 304 was the largest engine that went in at the factory.

Comment

Yeah,
          They are one both sides of the block under where the headers would come down. They are big numbers that are cast into the block. You can't miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by adamcj-5
            You can't miss it.
            but he did lol

adam is correct. big numbers on the side will read 304/360/401. if they're not there, you may have an sbc or ford engine.

Comment

I found the pictures but it looks like you got your awnser.
              on the top part of the block just about center there is a 304 in the casting
              By the way congrats on the new 2U ride looks great

Comment

the cast numbers will be right under the block mount for the motor mount
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...7/IMG_0503.jpg

Comment

Thanks

I had to pressure wash it to see. about .5'' thick oil build up. Thanks guys

Comment

Hey Fuzz nice looken 401 is it running yet?

Comment

still working the bugs out of it put it this way pumping up the brakes and holding the brakes @ 1500 rpm it is spining the 36" swampers

http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
                      Last edited by fuzz401; 02-17-2005, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Fuzz,

I am in the need of a new motor in the not too distant future. It is obvious you have done a lot of the work on that motor, where did you buy it? What work were you able to do? I am located in near Collegeville or King of Prussia are not far from you and would be interested in a quality engine from a quality shop.

Comment

GEEP
                          i bought the motor took it apart and cleaned every thing up took it to a machine shop in jersey to a guy that knows AMC motors he did all the machine work and I put it back together when you are ready let me know and I can help you get your's done

Comment

Good to know Fuzz. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X