X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 258 i6 exaust / intake manifolds

Not long ago I bought a 79' CJ7, fair condition. It soon developed a exaust manifold leak. Well, as I proceeded to correct this, next thing I new I had a bare metal frame on blocks, and a dozen boxes of parts in my garage.

Lo and behold it is going back togeather now. My problem, the manifolds on the 258 sandwich togeather, I ordered gaskets on line, and they showed up one large foil gasket, covering all intake & exaust ports, plus a smaller one for the intake only. The manual shows to use only the intake gasket, and the exaust surface goes metal to metal. This has been reinforced by some mechanics. This sounds really strange. I have also had an equal number of responces to use BOTH gaskets??

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Also, do I use high temp ATV silicone gasket seaer on the one/ both / or none?

Waiting to wrench this weekend.

Those manifolds are a pain in the A$$ I had mine off to install a mpi kit it took me a long time fooling with those manifolds the way they clamp is the $hitz. I used both gaskets though. DP

Comment

I always use both. I don't think you will get a good seal using manifold to block. I have never used a gasket sealer on either. Just bolt them togeather.

Comment

Ive used both also. And everyone I talked to recommended to use both...

Comment

My friend and I rebuilt the motor in his j-10 before he moved to Alaska and we used both gaskets, although he had a header not a manifold. No leaks though but a real pain.

Comment

I would use a oil resistant silicone based gasket sealer such as Felpro or Mr. Gasket on the intake manifold only. I am no expert but I am pretty sure that you should not use sealer on the exhaust manifold. That is a thicker metalic compression type gasket that is self sealing. Besides, you will never get the dang thing off again after the adheisive bakes itself on. Make sure both surfaces of the manifold and the block are clean and free of any old gasket material. Run a putty knife around the surface to get all the old gunk off. Be carefull not to let any crap fall into the intake ports. It's never an easy job with the restrictive working space.
            Hope all goes well for you.

Comment

I agree with both gaskets also, to add to the mix, my father in his prime was a drag car racer and race car builder and he swears by the no exhaust gasket theory. Sorry dad.

Comment

Originally posted by forthejeep
                I would use a oil resistant silicone based gasket sealer such as Felpro or Mr. Gasket on the intake manifold only. I am no expert but I am pretty sure that you should not use sealer on the exhaust manifold. That is a thicker metalic compression type gasket that is self sealing.
                I agree - use both. I use Napa Avaition Gasket sealer for all my gasket surfaces. After getting the metal surfaces scraped wipe them with a paper towel and Acetone to get the surfaces good & clean. Paper towels leave no lint.

Color me gone...
                Roll Bar Bound

Comment

Working...
                X