X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for a new CJ7 Owner

I hope someone will help me. I just purchased my first Jeep, a 1980 CJ7. It is a typical midwestern rusty jeep. It has a 258 CI and a 4 speed with Hardtop. My question is all the Catalogs I've ordered talk about all the different 4 speed Transmissions and I want to know how to Identify mine. I need a shifter nob for it and the gear pattern on everything I've seen does not match mine. Reverse on my Jeep is over and up by the drivers leg. Please help!

Are you sure it is the factory trans? I think some T-18's had reverse up by driver, some were down by pass.

Comment

the Borg-Warner SR-4 is like that, but I think they only put those behind 4-cyl.

Comment

prolly an SR-4, had a buddy with a 258 in his scrambler that came factory with an SR-4...dont know how it lasted this long but then again no telling how many of em were replaced during the life of the jeep

Comment

my 80 CJ5 had reverse and up and to the right where fifth would normally be. IT had a really low low first gear. It was a T18.
          Last edited by thejeepingoat; 02-21-2005, 05:44 AM.

Comment

my SR-4 is still the original, but it's behind a SBC now, so... Time to switch out!

Comment

correct me if i am wrong but i dont think an 80 cj7 would have a t-18, least never one i seen

Comment

went ahead and did some research...

The T-18 was optional on CJs from 1971-1979. The T-18A version used from 1977-1979 is the best transmission ever put in a CJ by the factory since it features a granny low first gear(6:32:1.) Earlier T-18s have the same great strength, but a 4.03:1 first. The T-98 is the predecessor to the T-18 that was an option for CJs from 1955-1970.

The SR-4 is a light duty transmission used only in 1980 and 1981 in the 151 and some 258s. The T-4 is also a light duty transmissions used from 1982 until 1986.

It is an SR4... a t-176 has reverse up and right, so it aint that if the reverse on yours is up and left...i swapped a t-177 in from a J20 full size cause i blew 3 t-5's and the t-177 has a better first than a t-176 or t-177...since the bellhousings used on jeeps usually have bolt patterns for all the trannies jeep used and the inputs shafts are the same, it was a direct bolt in, all i did was swith the np-208 out with my dana 300 and bolted it up...but anyways your should be a SR4 according to your discription of the shift pattern

hey goat you mean reverse was up and right where fifth would be? cause i dont know of any trannies with fifth up and left

Comment

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/trans/t18.html

I dont know if mine was swapped in, or what was going on, but it had a granny low and the casting s numbers identified it as a T18. Maybe it was really a 79 or a newer tub on an old body, or something else funky that can happen with old CJs.

and yes reverse is up on the right, Im sorry i should have zigged when i zagged.

Comment

haha...its cool i was not refering to your post, and you are right it very well could have beena fluke, i had a typo in my reply as well the t-176 t-177 and t-178 all have reverse down and right not up...oops, but anyways yous is an SR4...i am 95% positive on it...

Comment

Check casting and model numbers guys. Just because that is what they came with from the factory does not mean it is what is in there now. I have done several swapps with different trannys and engines also.

Comment

Check your 4WD catalog (if you have one.... if you don't, then get one). There are some pics near the end of the catalog of the various popular jeep trannys. Compare yours to the pics in the book and you will probably figure out what you got. You can also see the pics online here too. But to be absolutely sure... like others have said... you need to check casting numbers.

Comment

My parents used to have a 81' CJ-7 with a 258 and an SR-4 4-speed. The reverse was up and to the driver's side. Plus it had a curved stick. All T-176 trannies have a straight stick and reverse to the passenger side. My parents '76 CJ-7 has a stock 4:1 T-18 with the 304. The reverse is up and to the passenger side. The '78-'79 CJ's with the T-18 have a 6:1 1st gear ratio and a reverse that's down and to the passenger side. They're pretty hard to find.

Comment

ID transmission

Go to jeeptech.com. A guy by the name of Terry Howe put this web sight together. He also has Terry Howe's Jeep pages or somthing like that. The Jeeptech web sight is good.

Comment

I would probably have to agree on it being and SR-4, except that I own a '80 CJ-7 with and SR-4 and my reverse is down and to the right. But ya, check the casting numbers, I suppose that's the only 100% accurate way to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X