Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
AMC 304 Exhaust Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMC 304 Exhaust

    Got a Question. I am currently running fenderwall headers and pipes.
    I just dont like them anymore, they sound great but i am loosing clearance and they are a tad bit loud when you try to keep it quiet. I am thinking about changing this but i am torn on how Should i go with the new Edelbrock Shorty headers and run pipe out keeping it tight or put on the stock manifolds and run the pipe tight. What are the pros and cons of these set ups?

    Thanks Ryan

  • #2
    GreenCJ-7,

    I can't answer your question but I figured I would jump on your bandwagon. I have stock exhaust (304) and I would like to swap to dual with headers. I really don't want the fenderwell exits either but there isn't a lot of clearance under the CJ-5 for more pipes. I have looked at a couple of header systems with pipes but I'm not sure how to go on this.

    Comment


    • #3
      There are stock manifilds available that flow very well. I cant speak for the shorty headers but most headers are high maintenance compared to stock manifolds. Check on the AMC forum. There is tech info and stuff for sale.

      Comment


      • #4
        I can speak for the stock manifolds and dual exhaust as that is what i have on my 78 cj7 with a 304 !! Only concern i have is when it gets hot out will it cause a vapor lock in the gas line as the right side pipe is very close to the gas line but i figure if i move it, it will be fine !!! But i was thinkin about the shorty headers so i can get 2 1/2" pipes on it .. will be very curious as to the replies on here as well..

        Comment


        • #5
          I have a setup for an 85 but I am not sure what headers I have on them. I didn't build it. But I do know that there is a clearence issue with the headers on the drivers side. The installer of that engine dented one of the tubes just a bit to clear the clutch linkage.
          Hey Bud8N2K5 what tranny/Trans do you have? If you have the t-150 and dana20 I think you are going to have problems getting it down the passingers side. I don't remember a area big enough to get a pipe through.

          Comment


          • #6
            That's what I think also since I can not see anything that resembles a 2 inch clearance on the passengers side. I am sticking with my stock exhaust and I'll spend that money on something else, like BEER!

            Comment


            • #7
              I just put my in frame headers on and I may be wrong but I dont see any problem going above the trans skid plate on both sides. It had a 258 and the pipe run right thru it on the drivers side and I am pretty sure with some custom bending I will get the passenger side in there also. I am looking into installing heat shields under the floor also. Mine will not be driven very much so dont know if the heat will be an issue or not. If I could ever just finish this thing!!!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mcodrake
                I just put my in frame headers on and I may be wrong but I dont see any problem going above the trans skid plate on both sides. It had a 258 and the pipe run right thru it on the drivers side and I am pretty sure with some custom bending I will get the passenger side in there also. I am looking into installing heat shields under the floor also. Mine will not be driven very much so dont know if the heat will be an issue or not. If I could ever just finish this thing!!!!!
                I bet you have the T-4/5 and the dana 300 trans don't you? Or the t-17x series will also give you enough room to get a pipe down there.

                Comment


                • #9
                  One down each side of the tranny/T-case on mine.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by oldjeeper
                    One down each side of the tranny/T-case on mine.
                    Hey can you shoot a pic of it? I would like to know what I can do to get them down the two 79's I have.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have a 79 CJ7 with 304/t-150/d20 and stock manifolds. I had a custom shop run 2 1/4" pipes and flowmasters, fit nicely above skidplate. they did crush the pipe a little in critical areas with a vise, but it works very well. I hope my T-18 won't be too huge for this setup. if it is, I'll just put the T-177 and D300 under it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks For all the input. After much thought this is what i have decided.

                        I am going to run the stock manifolds for a few reasons
                        1) Price 300 +++ bucks for headers. Manifolds $50.00 blast and magnaflux

                        2) Heat Manifolds run cooler

                        3) Price again

                        I am going to run 2 1/2 inch pipe Back to a set of flowmasters i am not yet sure how the tailpipes are going to run but i know i can get the main pipes back and around the x-fer case. worst case will be no tailpipes but i am pretty sure i can somewhat keep them out of harms way.

                        once again thanks for the input
                        Ryan

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          When you say "no tail pipes", where do you plan on ending the exhaust. Don't have it end directly under the tub or you'll end up having weird headaches, ringing ears, and be more succeptable to other illness. Been there, done that. I ended up spending more time playing with different tailpipe turn-out/down applications than it took to run the exhaust...at least before I went to fenderwell headers. Then I had a headache all the time.

                          Originally posted by GreenCJ-7
                          Thanks For all the input. After much thought this is what i have decided.

                          I am going to run the stock manifolds for a few reasons
                          1) Price 300 +++ bucks for headers. Manifolds $50.00 blast and magnaflux

                          2) Heat Manifolds run cooler

                          3) Price again

                          I am going to run 2 1/2 inch pipe Back to a set of flowmasters i am not yet sure how the tailpipes are going to run but i know i can get the main pipes back and around the x-fer case. worst case will be no tailpipes but i am pretty sure i can somewhat keep them out of harms way.

                          once again thanks for the input
                          Ryan

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X