X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my new bikini have snaps?

I was hoping to use the same windshield channel as the supertop.The Bestop bikini has snaps in the corners. Do any of you have a bikini that works with the same channel as the one in the pic?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/IM000087.jpg

I have two bikini's for my "73" and they also have snaps on both front corners. I installed a male snap on the outside edge of the windshield frame on both sides. You can get these at any automotive Upholstry shop. This keeps the top centered and tight. Now, the older Jeeps have a shorter channel so the snaps are a must. Your Jeep may have a longer channel. Did you get this Bikini new and ordered to fit your "84"? If not maybe it was made for a shorter channel. If the Bikini fits ok. You might consider installing the male snaps on your windshield frame. I would make sure it's the right top first.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

They sent the snaps but I think the channel where it follows the windshield curve will be in the way see pic above. I guess I'll call Bestop tomorrow the one I ordered is for my year I was hoping it would work like the supertop. just slip it in the channel and tighten it up but the part that goes in the channel is only about 1/2 as wide and has these freekin snaps on the corners. DP
      Last edited by DPete; 02-22-2005, 08:09 PM.

Comment

This is interesting- I have an 84 with a supertop as well. I thought that the two piece windshield channel for the top was wider that the old one that came off. Just wondering- did you get the strapless bikini? After reading this, I'll wait till all the posts are read before I order mine, so I don't relive this with mmine.

Comment

That is how they are made. Some windsheild channels don't have the curve. I just flip the front part over once and put it in the channel. I dont use the snaps at all.

Comment

I"m just wondering... do YJ bikini tops not have the snaps (and fit cj)?

Comment

Not strapless. Will find out more tomorrow from Bestop, I'm hoping to get a Bikini that fits like the supertop on the same channel. no snaps, the curve at the corners will keep the wind from catching it and yanking it off . Why would they make it different? DP
              Last edited by DPete; 02-22-2005, 09:57 PM.

Comment

You can use the same channel. Just ignor the snaps, slide it in the channel and tighten her down.

Comment

Originally posted by MotorHead
                  You can use the same channel. Just ignor the snaps, slide it in the channel and tighten her down.
                  Ditto - no problems.

Color me gone...
                  Roll Bar Bound

Comment

I got mine with no snaps that just fit the bestop channel.. after driving it to work on the highway a few times I added snaps though because one of the corners worked loose from all the flapping.. Could be I didnt have it tight enough....

Comment

Originally posted by RollBarBound
                      Ditto - no problems.

Color me gone...
                      Roll Bar Bound
                      Ditto, just used it without the snaps. No problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X