Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle Blues..

I needa beer....

The other day I blew the rearend in the ol' jeep. Yeah.. well now i'm going to end up having to swap my other AMC 20 in it. The only thing is, I need to know what gearing I have. Does anyone know a site that has the identification numbers. or know the numbers for the gears? Any help would be appreciated!

what exactly happened/what kind of damage did you actually have?

just curious.

Comment

put a mark on the yoke and another on the diff. put another mark on the drum and another on the backplate. then turn the yoke one complete turn and see how many turns the drum makes. chalk or white out is good for this.

Comment

better yet, you're putting in a new rear end, so you're changing gear oil, right? pull the cover and count teeth. divide the ring teeth by the pinion teeth, voila! gear ratio.

for example, mine was:
        39 pinion
        11 ring
        39/11=3.54545454......

3.54 gears.

Comment

If you're going to assume it's factory original:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/axle/amc20.html

Comment

Got the new axle in the garage and was checking it out. I cannot find what gears i have. I looked on the website and according to it, there is a stamp by the diff cover. Well I cleaned er' up and nothing. I did find some numbers and the letter "N" on the top of it. According to the guid it says it should (If that is the right letter) have 3.54 gears and a limited slip? Anyone know what that letter is for sure? Thanks for the imput..

Egg

Ps- Goat, I'm not exactly sure what damage was surely done. I havnt taken it apart yet. I do know, 2wd, it makes grinding noises and dont move. 4wd.. different story, Takes right off.. Sounds like a blown axle to me..

Comment

Originally posted by egghead
              Got the new axle in the garage and was checking it out. I cannot find what gears i have. I looked on the website and according to it, there is a stamp by the diff cover. Well I cleaned er' up and nothing. I did find some numbers and the letter "N" on the top of it. According to the guid it says it should (If that is the right letter) have 3.54 gears and a limited slip? Anyone know what that letter is for sure? Thanks for the imput..

Egg

Ps- Goat, I'm not exactly sure what damage was surely done. I havnt taken it apart yet. I do know, 2wd, it makes grinding noises and dont move. 4wd.. different story, Takes right off.. Sounds like a blown axle to me..
              Are the grinding noises from the center of the axle or more toward the wheel. If you have two piece axles you could have spun one.
              If noise is comming from the center you might have just blown your diff. Or maybe just a ring gear. All those are much easier to fix than replacing a whole axle.

Comment

Egg

yeah, I found it hard to decipher the letter too. decided mine was an "A", and then found out when I took it apart I had different gears then I thought.

Comment

Well i'm getting out of school in about 25- 30 minutes. Then we (my buds) are going junkyard surfing, then going home to fix the jeep. I'll check everything you all said. Thanks for the help!!

Egg

Comment

Egg

I've had that happen twice and found out that if you drive in 4wd for too long your axle shaft will slide right out and pass you.

Comment

Laidmen and Gentleladies.. Or.. Ladies and Gentlemen. I've found what was wrong. You know why they make 1 peice axles? So your hub wont strip. Am I correct? Well. Guess what. That is exactly what happened on the passenger side axle. Bad thing is.. my buddies and I started to take the whole axle out to replace it with the other, Then, after taking the springs apart, came up with the bright idea of taking the passenger side axle out and seeing what happened. Tada! I did more work than I needed to. Oh well- lesson learned Thanks for all the help!

Egg

Comment

Originally posted by Lost-One
                        Are the grinding noises from the center of the axle or more toward the wheel. If you have two piece axles you could have spun one.
                        If noise is comming from the center you might have just blown your diff. Or maybe just a ring gear. All those are much easier to fix than replacing a whole axle.
                        Well Egg, I offered help after you asked but you didn't want to listen.

Comment

lol..I listened, I was just bound and determined to have limited slip and 3:54's.. But.. Changed my mind and went with what you said. Thanks again for the help.

Egg

Comment

thats why i asked. i once thought too that my rear end was GONE, it was with my first CJ. I swore up and down, thats what happened my diff was crap. Then i jacked up one side and kicked the tire, i was really surprised when the tire fell right off....after i had driven home over 10 miles, very slowly in four high.

glad you got it figured out.

-goat

Comment

lol..I listened, I was just bound and determined to have limited slip and 3:54's.. But.. Changed my mind and went with what you said. Thanks again for the help.

Egg

Congrats, I just changed out my friends rear axles, the guy who installed the bearings put the incorect sleve on & the bearing was installed @ a ange, it caused a bad vibration & ate the bearing.

RollBar

P.S. After that I checked the 86' (D-44 wife;s Jeep) & found out it's a LSD from the factory, I told her I was gonna swap it into the CJ8 but she said NO. Hummmmm, covert op coming. lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X